Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everynow and then this blank taskbar icon would appear in my taskbar and it would dissappear, I have spyware and virus scanned numerous times but cannot figureout what it is. Can somebody help me out? I want to get rid of it from appearing again, becuase it brings my comp out of screensaver and stuff and it's annoying.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
alright i see u use xp

so, right click the task bar (or whatever you call that bar at the bottom of the screen) and hit properties

in "Notification Area", open Customize

Scroll down to "Past Items"

Find the blank icon and find the name of the program.

And if you can't find it, then open Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) and go to Processes and monitor all processes (wastes a lot of time)

sorry cant be more help

P

·
0 Posts
Process Explorer from Sysinternals is simply excellent ! Here you can find a detailed review and download links.

On the other hand I would do a deeper malware search.
Did you ever have any kinds of desktop managers installed ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
i had a style and the alienware one for my wallpapers and desktop icons, but i didn't keep them for long.

in the hide inactive icons box, i check it to apply it and click customize next to it, and i check the list of past items, there are programs that i had installed on my computer showing up there that are now uninstalled, how do i delete them? one of them happens to be STYLE XP.

i downloaded Process Explorer and i found 2 fishy ones called "Interrupts" (Hardware interrupts) and "DCPs" (Deferred Procedure Calls)

i've ran HouseCall , ad-aware se, and avg and they picked nothing up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well one of the popups used to be called MS_Webcheckmonitor or something like that some weird stuff that comes with IE...now I get another blank task bar icon when I catch it with right click it's called CONNECTIONS TRAY...when I hit maximize after right clicking it, it's just a blank window with the title Connections Tray. How do I disable this?

/edit when I open up windows task manager, I right click on the connections tray process and click go to process and it goes to explorer.exe. I know I have no viruses..

·
1,438 Posts
Do you have norton antivirus with live update ? I have seen the Liveupdate module do this occaisionally as well as having an empty window popup and close before you can figure out what it is. It really freaks out people who notice it, most of the time it happens so fast than you do not, but a temporary slow down of the internet or hold at their update server and you see things which they expect to be hidden from the average user.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No I do not have Norton. The pop up is just really annoying. This might be a cause of when I installed WIN XP Pro on this HDD without properly removing the old Win2k becuase the HDD was being dumb and wouldn't let me reformat. Not sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.