·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 hard drives with I believe nothing on them. 1 a Quantum
AT Fireball 30 GB lct 15.
2 A Western Digital Caviar 36400.
I tried booting each of them and get "operating system not found"
I do not have a Win98 (or any other) disk to use to install an OS.
I have Win98 on a laptop and a serial cable. Can any one please
advise if this is possible?
Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
82 Posts
Create a boot disk from your laptop if it has a 3 1/2" floppy and use that to boot your PC.

You can also download boot disk images at bootdisk.com. They have boot disk images for most OS.

No 3 1/2" drive? Buy a Mac, use your disks there !

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Hey Jon, which mac are you familiar with that comes with a built in floppy drive? I thought they abandoned that a long time ago

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mac's don't have floppies, one of the reasons I love hating them. Every frigging OS disk will boot the computer and you just tell it to install itself. . . is so friggin simple, you can't make a living servicing macs.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Right on, Jon!

For a second there I thought you were advocating Macs...

I think we should start a mac hating thread, it would be so long

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
You can't install the O/S from the laptop onto the other disk from the laptop hard disk. You need the installation media for Windows to install it onto a new system. Time to buy a copy of the O/S like the rest of us. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Licensed

My laptop has my legitimate licensed copy of Win98 on it. However,
I have been the victim of sticky fingers as of late. Do you think Microsoft will sympathize?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Maybe . . .

On your laptop, you may have a full Windows installation. If so, those files copied to your one of your disks, a boot disk, and you are on the way.

Most Win 98 computers have the installation located in:

C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS

Copy all the files in the CABS to a CD or the blank disk. Boot the computer with a Win98 boot disk, and run setup from the CABS directory.

You still have to get past that 25 digit authorization code . .

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cabs

Which Cab, or precopy Cab, is the setup or boot...I only have a floppy
drive to copy to. Is there a specific order?
Mark

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I predict we won't hear about the results for some time, copying all that stuff on floppies should be somewhat time consuming. I'm wondering what he's going to do with the CAB files that don't fit on a single floppy. :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GOT A DISK

Found a disk. Its Win95.
I get to startup echo screen with a del option to access the cmos.
On the echo, what ever I use in the primary IDE slot, will come up on the echo screen. I get lights on the floppy, hard drive, and the 2 CD
drives. Stll NO OS found. On the floppy, I have tried a bunch of different thing to boot off of, with no luck. EBD, most all the .com's
I am missing some thing. With the other hard drive in the primary IDE slot, NTLDR MISSING.
Will someone hold my hand?Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
4 Posts
"NTDLR missing" comes up when the disk cannot find the files for win2k or winnt....could be bcs there is a floppy in the drive (check this out first) or bcs the startup files for the OS have been corrupted or erased. If you could restore them, it would be very messy. I suggest repartioning and reformatting both drives

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
fdisk

I would love to repartition, however I cannot even get a command prompt. Even with a ebd in the floppy. I have also tried changing the boot positions (which there are 4 ie. floppy, harddrive, cd rom, and network boot). The only option I get is the cmos, then I get either NTLDR, or No Operating System Found.
Thanks
Mark

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.