Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi: I have been working with Microsoft Office 2007 and Vista for the past few months now. However, I needed to install the solver add-in for Excel 2007 and I have been getting the error 1342 that says folder path "Program Files" contains an invalid character. I am unable to uninstal Excel to correct the problem and feel like a reformatting may be the only solution.

I have both 2003 and 2007 versions of the office suite. Could you please help me instal the solver add-in (I need it to do an optimization assignment thats due wednesday :S)

Thanks,

Blair Rogers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi jcgriff2:

Apparently I am dyslexic..it is error 1324 not 1342!

To answer your questions:

1) Solver is just a general Excel add-in. It can be installed by clicking the office start button - Excel Options - Add-ins (left hand column) - In the manage field select Excel add-ins - click 'Go' - Check off Solver Add-in - Click Ok.

Solver is a numerical method to solve functions based on a defined equation and variable cells. I could write a matlab script to do the same thing (only its so so much easier to use excel and the assignment is excel based)

2) I have only 2007 installed now, if I need to uninstal it and change to 2003 I can (I still have my student Cd and Key)

3) The problem is, when I finish the procedure I explained (to instal solver add-in) I get the window: 'Excel cannot run this add-in. This feature is not currently installed. Woudl you like to install it now?

I click 'Yes' and wait a while until the configuration screen appears. I am then passed to a install window for a few seconds before the window:

Error 1324. The folder path 'Program Files' contains an invalid character.

The only option I have is to click ok. I do this and I am back to the start
:(

The same thing happens when I try to uninstall Office 2007.

I'm not sure what to do. Reformat seems like a likely option.....but one that I really don't want to do unless I have to

Thanks,

Blair Rogers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi jcgriff2:

I have been in midterm season (aka: hell) for the last week now and have not been able to keep up with your posts.

I have removed the files you requested and I have run the command that you requested. The output is copied below:

Directory of c:\users\public

24/01/2008 10:46 PM <DIR> .
24/01/2008 10:46 PM <DIR> ..
24/01/2008 10:46 PM <DIR> Documents
0 File(s) 0 bytes
3 Dir(s) 13,229,871,104 bytes free

C:\Windows\system32>

Thanks again!

Blair Rogers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.