Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, MVP
34,403 Posts
Hi: I have been working with Microsoft Office 2007 and Vista for the past few months now. However, I needed to install the solver add-in for Excel 2007 and I have been getting the error 1342 that says folder path "Program Files" contains an invalid character. I am unable to uninstal Excel to correct the problem and feel like a reformatting may be the only solution.

I have both 2003 and 2007 versions of the office suite. Could you please help me instal the solver add-in (I need it to do an optimization assignment thats due wednesday :S)

Thanks,

Blair Rogers
Hi Blair. . .

Welcome to the Tech Support Forum - Vista Support!

For my clarification, please:

Please tell me about the "solver add-in for Excel 2007 ". I know of many updates for Excel 2007, but am not familiar with this one.

Also, if you are in fact running Office 2003 and Office 2007 concurrently, I would advise that you un-install Office 2003 immediately. Test all aspects of Office 2007. As you may know, Office 2007 functions 100% with the legacy-type Office 2003 - both read/write.

Then I will be glad to do all in my power to rectify this for you in time for you to finish your assignment.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

EDIT: Blair - just to make sure - is is error 1342 - or 1324?

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, MVP
34,403 Posts
Hi Blair. . .

It was good to speak with you last night - and thank you for the tree files in .doc format. As promised, I will only publish snippets that I find may be a problem here and that are not confidential in nature.

Two folder names that I found in 1.doc that will cause trouble - whether of the exact 1324 nature or not I am unsure of at this time:

c:\Blair Rogers\Housing - 1B\1420 ***** Road E_, ******, ON - Google Maps_files

The first set of asterisks is the street name, the second set is the city - you cannot have commas in directory (folder) or file names. This may have been saved as an IE7 favorite.

Please go onto Windows Explorer and copy the contents elsewhere - if you need such contents. Then delete it or rename it.

Another in iTunes - try to rename it or delete:
I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning

Also - all that I found in the Public folder:
└───Public
└───Documents

This is where the Tree stopped... very unusual to say the least.

There s/b more folders than this under Vista.

Please perform the following:

START | type cmd.exe | right-click on cmd.exe | Run as Admin then type:
dir c:\users\Public

then copy/paste - you may have to right-click on top of "DOS" box, select edit | Select all | Copy - then paste in your next post.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

p.s. I will be gong through the second doc file later today.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.