Tech Support banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys , ive been having black screen when gaming , my screen goes black for 4 sec or so and goes back to normal. Back ground processes are running fine(game sound can be heard and i can even control my game as usual). I went online to look for solutions and i tried updating graphic drivers , tried increasing power limit tp 20% (using MSI afterburner) , tried GPU tuning , none of it worked....im currently running an AMD radeon rx5500xt 4gb . However , i found that lowering my monitor refresh rate(display settings) from 144 to 120 kinda fixes the problem , it used to have blackscreens for every 5 mins or so , now it just happened once per day. Is there any permanant fix??!!! i need to know whats causing the problem..

·
Moderator, - Microsoft Support,BSOD Kernel Dump A
Olfactory training for spam detection.
5,883 Posts
Sounds like it might be a 0x116 or 0x117, the one you have would be the graphics drivers recovering from a time out waiting for data, the other doesn't recover the drivers and causes a BSOD.

About the last thing I'd do would be to load/run any 3rd-party 'utilities' like you just mentioned; it's like a logjam of data blocking a stream between the CPU and GPU, one extra stick might take it from recovery to OS crash, one less stick might allow free flow again (see your own reduction of the load in reducing the refresh rate as a likely example of the latter).

Sysnative help page.

Tech details on 0x116.

MS page on the 0x117.

Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions -... BSOD collection app. and instructions.

·
Moderator , Windows Tech Team , Hardware Tech T
Operating Systems || Hardware || Most Tech Stuff
3,180 Posts
Hey guys , ive been having black screen when gaming , my screen goes black for 4 sec or so and goes back to normal. Back ground processes are running fine(game sound can be heard and i can even control my game as usual). I went online to look for solutions and i tried updating graphic drivers , tried increasing power limit tp 20% (using MSI afterburner) , tried GPU tuning , none of it worked....im currently running an AMD radeon rx5500xt 4gb . However , i found that lowering my monitor refresh rate(display settings) from 144 to 120 kinda fixes the problem , it used to have blackscreens for every 5 mins or so , now it just happened once per day. Is there any permanant fix??!!! i need to know whats causing the problem..
The reason for the screen going black is being unable to display the resolution at that refresh rate. Can you share the Monitor model and the cable that is being used to connect it, specifically the ports at both ends ?

We might have to completely remove the driver and install from scratch (in future steps)

Also, can you enable a custom resolution and set the refresh rate at 143Hz and are you noticing the black out ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reason for the screen going black is being unable to display the resolution at that refresh rate. Can you share the Monitor model and the cable that is being used to connect it, specifically the ports at both ends ?

We might have to completely remove the driver and install from scratch (in future steps)

Also, can you enable a custom resolution and set the refresh rate at 143Hz and are you noticing the black out ?
Im currently using an HDMI 2.0
monitor model : acer KG241QA

Thanks ill try that and let u know the results asap

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like it might be a 0x116 or 0x117, the one you have would be the graphics drivers recovering from a time out waiting for data, the other doesn't recover the drivers and causes a BSOD.

About the last thing I'd do would be to load/run any 3rd-party 'utilities' like you just mentioned; it's like a logjam of data blocking a stream between the CPU and GPU, one extra stick might take it from recovery to OS crash, one less stick might allow free flow again (see your own reduction of the load in reducing the refresh rate as a likely example of the latter).

Sysnative help page.

Tech details on 0x116.

MS page on the 0x117.

Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions -... BSOD collection app. and instructions.
Thanks for the help , appreciate it♥👌

·
3,180 Posts
hi ive tried using 1980x900 143hz it blackout once , in 4 hours of moderate usage
1980X900 is that the resolution you generally use ? I've never used it personally, hence the curiosity. Also can you check the VSync settins in the CCC and then check if it's On also frame cap setting.

Can you set it at 141 and test again ? probably one of the standard resolutions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1980X900 is that the resolution you generally use ? I've never used it personally, hence the curiosity. Also can you check the VSync settins in the CCC and then check if it's On also frame cap setting.

Can you set it at 141 and test again ? probably one of the standard resolutions.
sorry for the misundetsanding , i generally use 1920 x 1080 but from what u said on the first reply , ive created that as per request as a custom resolution to test it out..

the following are my settings

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey i just experienced static on my monitor , its like those old tv when the signal arent good u get black and white statics..it happened when i switched my monitor refresh rate from 141 to 120 , it went into static for like 10 sec and its fine again

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey i just experienced static on my monitor , its like those old tv when the signal arent good u get black and white statics..it happened when i switched my monitor refresh rate from 141 to 120 , it went into static for like 10 sec and its fine again

this happened when i tried changed refresh rate

·
3,180 Posts
Can you disable FreeSync and set the Resolution again at Custom at 141 ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts