1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
· Windows 7 Pro
· 64 bit
· Built Myself
· 1 and a half years old, no OS reinstall or new hardware since.

· CPU - i7 950
· Video Card - GTX 570
· MotherBoard - Sabertooth x58
· Power Supply - Corsair HX 850
· RAM - 12gb Corsair Vengeance
· Storage - OS on SSD, 2x HDDs for everything else

Hi there, I'd be very grateful if a pro could give me a hand in diagnosing the problem I've been having with my pc. Details to follow:

Ran beautifully since build, but about a month ago I was playing a game (League of Legends) with some friends, when it crashed to a black screen. Upon restarting and rejoining the game, it happened again after a few minutes. Then after this happening once more, it crashed even when I had just been on the desktop for a minute. I proceeded to go to sleep to deal with it the next day.

Since then this problem has been somewhat intermittent - Many days it would be fine all day (even playing games), but if it started crashing, it would proceed to be crash-prone for the rest of the day.

Because it is a black screen crash, there is no BSOD with any information, and 99% of the time there appears to be no dump for the crash, and eventviewer doesn't have anything in it other than the 'kernal power' unexpected shutdown message.

My windows is always up to date, I've updated gfx drivers, bios, even other stuff like my SATA controllers. No improvement. I've monitored temperates on my gfx card, cpu, northbridge, everything seems fine (even under stress testing like prime95 and furmark). I ran memtest for a few hours (I'm aware ideally I should run it for days? I needed my pc though so I couldn't leave it longer and it had completed a couple of passes with no errors. I can do this some more if need be).

I've blown out dust from my case, reseated gfx card and cables. I've also turned off some services running that were non-essential (such as one associated with my logitech webcam).

My suspicion is the PSU - I think it is overheating and then dipping power when high demands are put on it.

Running the windows index experience test will force the crash very quickly in most cases, as will the switch to fullscreen mode in league of legends. Playing games like DotA 2 it will crash at a random point rather than any specific time. Once it has started crashing, it will even crash just browsing the internet or watching video files.

I am unsure how to confirm if my problem is the PSU or not without splashing out for a new one - which I can't really afford at the moment, if it turned out to not be that. I would love to have the luxury of swapping parts out but I don't have suitable spares. I have tried removing the PSU and doing the paperclip test to confirm it's fans are working and what not.

It did seem as if there were never any logs being produced from the crashes, but surpsingly on double checking today, there seems to be one from the crash-bonanza last night in the live kernal reports folder which I have attached. I haven't got any minidumps it seems (note I have checked the checklist on the bsod posting instructions thread and my page file is setup correctly for logs).

I think I've mentioned everything but I will undoubtably remember more points to add to this post (I have been fiddling for a month trying to fix this and gathering more and more cases and doing other tests).

If someone could advise me on further diagnostics, or take a look at the dump, that'd be much appreciated. Please feel free to ask for any additional information if it is helpful.
Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just wanted to upload more info as directed in the BSOD posting instructions thread. Ran the two tools (autoruns etc) and am attaching the files. Note that autoruns stopped responding a few seconds after running and windows prompted me to close it, which I did after waiting a short while. As a result, I'm not sure if the information collection was complete.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I realised I didn't describe the crashes themselves much - the screen suddenly turns black with no warning or graphical glitches before, monitor goes to no signal received. Sometimes my sound still works for a little while after (up to 30 seconds sometimes). I think once or twice I was even able to continue talking on skype with people before I reset it. Other times the sound will jarr and loop a tiny amount, sometimes it will cut entirely. Sometimes the fans (not sure which ones specifically, I think it's the case fans) go crazy (100% I presume) at the same moment that the screen blacks out, sometimes they don't. Sometimes just pressing reset will reset the system, sometimes I have to hold the power button for it. It hasn't reset by itself thus far.

One time after a crash, my Steam loaded and claimed I was using a new computer and asked me to authorise it (a security feature). Why it thought that causes me to worry a bit!

·
Microsoft MVP, Microsoft Support Visiting Expert,
553 Posts
Your crashes are related to a TDR timeout as described below.

"It's not a true crash, in the sense that the bluescreen was initiated only because the combination of video driver and video hardware was being unresponsive, and not because of any synchronous processing exception".

Since Vista, the "Timeout Detection and Recovery" (TDR) components of the OS video subsystem have been capable of doing some truly impressive things to try to recover from issues which would have caused earlier OS's like XP to crash.

As a last resort, the TDR subsystem sends the video driver a "please restart yourself now!" command and waits a few seconds.

If there's no response, the OS concludes that the video driver/hardware combo has truly collapsed in a heap, and it fires off that stop 0x116 BSOD.

If playing with video driver versions hasn't helped, make sure the box is not overheating.

Try removing a side panel and aiming a big mains fan straight at the motherboard and GPU.

Run it like that for a few hours or days - long enough to ascertain whether cooler temperatures make a difference.

If so, it might be as simple as dust buildup and subsequently inadequate cooling.

I would download cpu-z and gpu-z (both free) and keep an eye on the video temps

Old drivers needing updating immediately
Code:
lirsgt.sys    3/6/2004 3:53:01 PM                             
atksgt.sys    10/20/2008 3:50:38 AM
How To Find Drivers:
- search Google for the name of the driver
- compare the Google results with what's installed on your system to figure out which device/program it belongs to
- visit the web site of the manufacturer of the hardware/program to get the latest drivers (DON'T use Windows Update or the Update driver function of Device Manager).
- if there are difficulties in locating them, post back with questions and someone will try and help you locate the appropriate program.
- - The most common drivers are listed on this page: Driver Reference Driver Reference
Driver Reference Table (DRT)

Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:

Click Start Menu
Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
Expand Custom Views
Click Administrative Events
Right click Administrative Events
Save all Events in Custom View As...
Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
Right click Errors.evtx -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
Upload the .zip file here, to skydrive, or a file sharing service

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Zigzag, thanks for the reply. I've straight up deleted those two drivers you mentioned - apparently they're from some old DRM service that got installed along with a game that I uninstalled a long time ago. I don't think they should have ever been in use - but I've deleted them anyways.

As for the first part of your post, I have already done a dust cleaning and carefully monitored my temperatures, and even though it does seem like it's crashing when it's hot, the actual temperature readings on my cpu, gpu and northbridge etc are all within reasonable limits, even up to the crash happening. As I mentioned, I think it's maybe the PSU getting too hot and then dipping power - but I can't really confirm it (no sensors). It's fan is working fine, and it doesn't appear clogged with dust or anything. It's just very hot to touch the psu box itself.

I'm also attaching the eventviewer info you requested.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.