Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a HP Laptop with the Windows XP Professional operating system installed. This computer has always had it's problems (blue screens, freezing, and random restarts) but those problems aside I have a bigger issue. When I boot the laptop it run the BIOS and the OS logo screen, where the ctrl+alt+delete screen should be, there is a black screen with an active cursor. I am able to log in blindly and run commands from the command line or whatnot.

I have tried the following:

-Repair Windows using an installation CD (Error, "Cannot detect a harddrive in this computer")
-Advanced Recovery Console (Error, For some reason it requests for a floppy?)
-chkdsk /f (I think this worked properly but it had no effect)
-sfc /scannow (which is currently running)

Please help, I can't do a fresh install because of the files and programs that are currently on the computer. (It is a school laptop assigned to us with certain programs and the last day before spring break was yesterday :( )

Thanks in advance! Any ideas at this point would be of great help!!!

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
If the laptop belongs to a school then they should have people who can fix it for you. Or just give you a new one and transfer the files over. Can you see what you are doing on the command line?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I can't get it replaced or have them fix it at the moment, because I am now on spring break and far away from school. No, I cannot see the command prompt but I use shortcuts and whatnot to get there; I guess I should have said that I assume I am accessing the command prompt.

Any Ideas??

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a HP Laptop with the Windows XP Professional operating system installed. This computer has always had it's problems (blue screens, freezing, and random restarts) but those problems aside I have a bigger issue. When I boot the laptop it run the BIOS and the OS logo screen, where the ctrl+alt+delete screen should be, there is a black screen with an active cursor. I am able to log in blindly and run commands from the command line or whatnot.

I have tried the following:

-Repair Windows using an installation CD (Error, "Cannot detect a harddrive in this computer")
-Advanced Recovery Console (Error, For some reason it requests for a floppy?)
-chkdsk /f (I think this worked properly but it had no effect)
-sfc /scannow (which is currently running)

Please help, I can't do a fresh install because of the files and programs that are currently on the computer. (It is a school laptop assigned to us with certain programs and the last day before spring break was yesterday :( )

Thanks in advance! Any ideas at this point would be of great help!!!
Not sure how you ran all these with no display but does it login ok to safe mode?

If so I would suggest a system restore.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.