Tech Support banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During Bootup I sometimes get a black screen, pushing on the RAM will solve the issue most of the times. Could it be caused by a bad RAM?

10 years ago my son and I put two identical computers together .We followed PC Perspective Hardware Leaderboard recommendation.
GA-P55A-UD3P Mother-Board and Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 1600 CMx4GX3M2A160 RAM 2 sticks.
This bootup problem has persisted for years intermittent on both computers. I have done a Memory test on the RAM that showed no problem, I have switched RAM in the slots, have added new RAM to a total of 4 sticks, removed all but 1 stick alternating the sticks to identify a problem module consequential marked some sticks bad, at one time I even bought a new motherboard. On some recommendation increased the voltage to the RAM by a tad, I don't remember the details. While all those things finally allowed me to bootup again without the Black screen until sometimes later maybe a month or even a year or two the same issue started again. The only common fix was to push on the RAM sometime several times in a row or remove and reinstall it in different positions

My son had replaced the power supply, same issue.

Both of us have new computers running Widows 10. But this issue has puzzled me ever since we put those machines together. I now have both computers and use one occasional.
After a long period of time without the issue I just had a black screen again. After some attempts of unsuccessful rebooting I remembered to push on the RAM and it worked, next bootup I had to push again??? Right now it boots ok but screams for 10 seconds.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,957 Posts
The slots might be damaged. Remember RAM doesn't exactly go in exactly vertically.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can try:
1. Check rams and slots for "darker" contacts. Everything should look equaly golden and shiny. Clean with alcohol if needed.
2. Reset RAM speed in Bios (maybe by reseting bios itself), force change profile from XMP to JEDEC. It will run slightly slower, probably at 1333MHz, but if system became stable this would be a clear indication where the problem is.
3. Check Ram voltage. Both in bios and in Windows, with program like HWMonitor or any other. Should be more than 1.5V for JEDEC or 1.65V for XMP profiles for your RAM. If lower - try to boot with another Power Supply.

·
Visiting Tech
1,522 Posts
If me, I would unplug the computer from the wall, touch bare metal of the case interior to discharge any static in my body, then carefully remove the RAM sticks and lay them on a non-conductive surface.

Then I would squirt some quality contact cleaner in the RAM slots. I recommend using CRC QD Electronic Cleaner or WD-40 Electrical Contact Cleaner. Alcohol will work but electrical contact cleaner is specifically made for the job. Typically, the power from the spray is enough for most cleaning jobs. But if the dirt is stubborn, spray with the contact cleaner then give it a soft scrub with a acid brush.

While allowing that to dry, touch bare metal of the case interior again, and spray the contacts of the RAM sticks. If visibly tarnished, a gentle rub with a clean pencil eraser will clean them up.

Then re-install the RAM. If you have to keep pressing on the RAM sticks after this thorough cleaning, then other problems or even damage has occurred. Note that pressing on the RAM sticks is applying considerable force to the motherboard. There could be microfractures in the board (or sticks) or circuit traces causing problems - or perhaps a foreign object under the board.

Wait! Just read your post again - after another couple gulps of coffee.
have added new RAM

at one time I even bought a new motherboard.

My son had replaced the power supply, same issue.
That really changes everything. When you added new RAM, did you remove the old? Or were you still running with the old RAM too?

Did you try a different graphics card?

Note that cases are designed to support 1000s of different motherboards. While the ATX Form Factor standard dictates where motherboard mounting holes "can" be, it does not dictate where they "will" be. This means cases typically have several more motherboard mounting points than motherboards have mounting holes. So, one board may have a mounting hole in a specific place while another may not.

A common mistake by the less experienced and distracted pros alike is to insert one or more extra standoff in the case under the motherboard. Any extra standoff creates the potential for an electrical “short” in one or more circuits. The results range from "nothing" (everything works perfectly) to odd "intermittent” problems to "nothing" (as in nothing works at all :(). So, you might want to verify you only inserted a standoff where there is a corresponding motherboard mounting hole.

Reactions: XXLMandalorian

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would like to thank you all for your valuable input. Cleaning the MB slots and RAM contacts the way Bill Bright and Pikachu explained makes lots of sense, I had never done this before but will in the future. On the added RAM I just don't remember exactly what I did between checking and changing positions but the end results always made the system run again until the problem showed up again maybe a month or a year later. Yes I replaced the Graphics Cards. Extra standoffs probably not the case since the same problem was on two separate computers one with the MB being replaced once and on the other it came to me from my son in a box since he kept the Case.
Pikachu touched on RAM Voltage, it was set in the Bios to 1.584V so I increased it to 1.600V the XMP was disabled already and is running at 1333MHZ. The HWMonitor under Voltage indicates VIN1 at 1.600V now I don't understand the VIN1?? My Corsair DD3 Memory stick has a 1.65V marking does that mean max Volt or should it be run at that?
turns out the power supplies on both machines had been replaced.
Presently the machine boots every time again with out issue. Will see what'll happen. I bookmarked this Thread to refer back to it in the future..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts