Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a big problem that I don't know how to fix. :4-dontkno

I have AMD64 3000+, ASUS moterboard A8 SLI-DELUX, Pixelwiev GeForce 6600GT, 1GB of RAM, SATA disk (160GB), 500W power. :heartlove

The problem is that when I install drivers for my video card, during the instalation my screen becomes black (which is normal), but it doesn't turn back to normal picture, but remains black. After I restart the computer, after the welcome screen my screen (again) becomes black and it doesn't finish booting. :upset: :upset: :upset:

That happens when I install Detonator drivers. I tried omega drivers and the only difference is that it finishes installing the drivers normaly, but when I restart the computer, the black screen is there. :cry:

The computer works "normaly" without the VGA drivers and with them in safe mode.

I tried reinstalling the windows (both XP and 2000), reformating HD, 3 different versions of Detonator drivers, 2 versions of omega drivers, tried removing the card from one slot to another, check the HD at my friends(works normaly, no bad sectors or other errors).

Motherboard reports no errors on sistem check-up, AIDA reports no errors and nTune only reports a warrning that my HT bus is linked to PCI-X freq. :dead:

If anyone has any idea what's wrong or what I could try, please let me know. :1angel:

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

You might want to check the sli mode under the Advanced settings in the BIOS setup menu to see whether it is set to AUTO or STANDARD. Whatever it is set to, try the other setting to see if that fixes the problem. That will be in your manual on page 4-34.

Also, just check to make sure your Hyper Transport frequency is set to AUTO in the BIOS setup menu.

Lastly, I would go with the Omega drivers if this were my unit. They will normally give you the best chance for success.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HT is set on auto and sli mode is set to auto, but I don't think the problem is in that, it was the same when I bought the PC it was set to auto, so I don't know... I'll try setting it to standard.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
in the device manager uninstall the card
reboot tapping f8 and choose vga mode
when windows finishes reinstalling the card
disable a/virus
install your drivers
reboot the computer
what brand of power supply,if it is generic you are wasting your time

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is my PS:

SILVERSTONE SST-ST40F-GM 400W low noise,active PFC

I don't know how good it is, but as I was told the more u pay, the better! And this was not cheap...

I tried changing SLI from auto to normal and it has no effect.
I tried installing the drivers (omega) in safe mode (haven't in vga mode - just read it...). And the windows start normaly, but in few seconds of working the screen becomes black and goes back for a few times (3-4) and after that it just becomes black and stays that way. After restart, it is the same as before, black screen after welcome screen.

I found on other forums that the problem may be in the PS, but I checked the voltages in the bios and with nTune and everything is more or less normal, no more than -0.3V difference (that is on 12V(11.73-11.76), other diff. are less).
I don't know why should that be a problem, I have this configuration from last year (26.12.2004) and it worked fine for almost a year...

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

First of all, Silverstone is an Excellent brand name power supply, but don't know if 400 watts is enough for your rig since it only lists 18 amps on the 12 volt rail. It also only has a single rail, so that is another factor. That is simply not very much in the amps area for a rig like you are running. The pci-e video, just takes a bunch of power and maybe more than your power supply is rated for. I would guess that a very bare minimum of 24 amps with a rating of 500 watts would be needed for the pci-e boards. Therefore, that could be the source of some of your difficulty. I am running the same board though with the new Antec Sonata II case and the 450 watt Antec power supply and have no difficulties. I am running the ATI x700 card on mine.

There is an additional place to plug in a 12 volt connector on this A8N board for extra voltage to the pci-e cards for when you use two cards. Have you considered plugging in that extra 12 volt socket from your power supply to see if it bumps up your card voltage some, even if using a single card? I don't know if it will, but might be worth a try.

The other thing you might want to do is try another video card in this rig if you can beg, borrow, or steal (only kidding) on to try.

Same with the power supply, you might want to visit Best Buy or Staples, get an Antec or Enermax power supply (those 550's are as good as it gets) and try it in this unit. If it works, keep it, if you have the same problem, return it for a refund. That way, you would not be out any money.

Just a side note, I would stick with the Omega drivers for now, because I think they give you the best chance for success.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
it is the amps it is capable of supplying that is the key,with sli most recommend a 550w supply yours lists a total of 29amps on the 12v lines max,but underneath it lists the 12v1 line peaks at 16a,yet the max is 14a on line 1,with nothing listed under 12v 2 line,surely thet don't mean combined lines peak at 16a
see if you can borrow a larger quality supply to throw in and check

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried with 480 W PS and it's the same...
I think my card burned out, because I tried it at my friends and he had the same problem with starting windows.

I tried fixing it with debian, but I couldn't enter xwindows...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.