black screen please help

680 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  dai 
#1 ·
CPU: AMD Athlon™ XP 2400+ Processor (2.000GHz) with QuantiSpeed™ architecture
Operating System: Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
Chipset: VIA KM 266
Memory: 256MB DDR (PC 2100)
Hard Drive: 60GB HDD
Optical Drive: 48 × 16x40x Max. CD-RW Drive; 16x Max. DVD Drive; 3.5" 1.44MB FDD
Video: S3 ProSavage8™ integrated (1 AGP slot available for upgrade)
Sound: AC '97 Audio
Network: 10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet
Modem: 56K ITU v.92-ready Fax/Modem
Peripherals: Office Multi-Media Keyboard, 2-Button Wheel Mouse, Amplified Speakers
Ports/Other: 6 USB 2.0 ports (2 on front), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Microphone-In & Head Phone jack on front, Audio-In & Out, 3 PCI slots (2 available)
Dimensions: 7.25"W x 14.125"H x 16"D

I have an emachine 2400+ athlon . it is 3 years old. I am running windows XP
I think the video card it came with is 3d generic.

My problem: yesterday i noticed that my desktop picture was garbled and dark, hard to make out. I checked my settings in display and they were the same as always 1074x768 I think i had it set on 16 color...anyways has always worked there. I tried updating the driver for video and that didnt work so i rolled back the driver. I finally decided to use my restore cd to reinstall the original video driver. I put it in went to video folder, found setup for the driver it installed and told me to reboot computer. I now have a black screen. I cannot get to bios and even if i did i couldnt see it. I tried the restore and rebooted...screen still black...never saw anything saying anything. I hooked my monitor to my daughters laptop and my monitor worked but it was very dark. I tried to adjust the brightness but the but the brightness box was black. Also before it went out on my computer i pushed the OCD on my monitor to try to adjust setting but all the boxes were just black.No bios splash, nothing, but everything is loading like usual cause i can hear the fans, see the lights even hear the little windows logon logoff music. any ideas would be appreciated. Maybe its the monitor???or video card??? or computer????

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.