Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone..

I hope you can help me with my problem.. it doesnt happen all the time but at least once a week and its becoming annoying

when I boot my computer up it sometimes gives the the first screen as per normal, ie black with white writing but then the next screen (before windows) goes black with a green capital N in the centre.. and wont boot any further... I have to hold the power button in until it shuts down and then push it again to restart.. it usually boots properly the next time with no problems.. and will continue for a few days in good condition ...... until the next time it black screens :rolleyes: has anyone come across this problem before ?? and did you find a solution ?? I have ati radeon HD 3200, (I suspect the problem is something to do with graphics or drivers but not sure) xp pro service pack 3, if this helps

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me

Cheers
She Lee

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Manic..

Thanks for your response....
CPU Name AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
4gb Ram DDR 2 Corsair but only reading in windows as 2.75gb.. (apparently its a windows issue not reading all of the ram)
Display Adapter ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
Microsoft Windows XP Service pack 3
Beecroft 500W ATX Power Supply (20 / 24 Pin)
500gb samsung hdd
Mother board Gigabyte Model GA-MA78GPM-UD2H
MAG 21.5" lcd monitor (if that matters)
Running comfortably on 23 degrees normally.

I think thats about it... let me know if I forgot something.

Thanks again
Cheers

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
My first thought would be video card.. My second would be power
supply. Go into bios and check what voltages the power supply is
putting out,,post details back here. You may try swapping vid cards,
see if that does anything..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Manic..

Much appreciated... :grin:thats what I was thinking at first....I will still check the voltage which is something I havent done.... I have changed cards and gone back to the original.... but as the problem is intemittent.. its hard to tell if that fixed the prob...as it boots from both... but there have been some things happen this morning.. that are leading me to a different conclusion

this morning when i booted... I got a sysconfig error...with instructions to reinsert windows cd to and run repair.... but I didnt need to....a reboot fixed this... and after doing a little research in event viewer.. to about 6 months ago....when I bought the tower with the hdd and did a fresh install.... I have found that my harddisk has had controller problems and bad blocks for months.... so now Im beginning to think that it was the disk all along... what are your suspicions on this ????

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi again, Manic

My thoughts exactly... although I was hoping that you or someone on here might have a better answer :laugh:

youre right.. it could be anything... or a combination of problems.. at least its still under warranty.. so I have somewhere to go when we run out of answers..

I know its hardware... because its been formatted twice now... and same or similar problems keep occurring.. ... just cant find anyone who has gotten the N in the middle of their screen before..... others have had "Dos" commands..from what they tell me.. but not like mine..
just nutting it out seems to be the biggest issue... I guess I go back to video..(in my opinion) and check psu voltage.. but I think I should change drives as well..
Memtest says ram is ok.

Thanks a bunch for your help.. I do appreciate it.. but I guess its back to the drawing board for me...

Have a great Christmas.. and a safe new year.. Cheers
:partytime

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Dasleyefox,

Thanks a bunch.. I think this is on the right track at least...it sounds just like my problem.. I will try a couple of suggestions from the link and let you know how I go.... although.. Im in the middle of "silly season" at work..so repair and reply could be delayed a few days..
Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.