Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I was playing StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm on Ultra High (nothing else was open in the background), when the game just froze and the screen shut off. All I could hear after was a loud fan noise, which seemed to be coming from the PSU. I quickly jumped to hit the off switch at the back of the PSU and decided to leave it to cool down. My dad came up and we checked it by powering it up again a few times, switching it back off, waiting a minute, switching it back on and hitting the power button. Nothing. Black screen, "No signal detected" on the screen, but the Blu Ray/DVD drive worked just fine, we could open and close it, and the PSU fan seemed to be loud again. The motherboard gave an "AE" code, then an "RO" code (it has a screen). My dad pushed the "Start" and then the "Reset" button on the motherboard (this is an ASUS ROG mobo, it has these 2 buttons and a small screen that shows numbers or a code on it), just after he pushed the video card in gently, thinking maybe it was nudged out. The Desktop booted after he hit the reset button on the Motherboard (not on the case). I'm using the PC right now and it's running fine like it always was, no weird noises coming from anything. We checked inside and there was no dust accumulation and no part was extremely hot.

I've always had problems with the plug in the wall behind, where different computer peripherals would stop working properly if plugged into something that was plugged into that wall (my headphones would stop working after 5-6 months of usage, one side would just die off, same with the sound system, until I replaced the extension cord and it stopped), I'm thinking it's a voltage issue with the wall outlet that's damaging all my stuff, all the stuff that is connected to that extension cord. I changed the screen and the power outlet/extension cord which has the monitor, sound and desktop plugged into it and which is plugged into the wall behind.

A few (2, maybe) days ago, while on the PC, I noticed a really strange smell, like something was cooking, but it was really faint and it went away after 5-10 minutes. My room has the heating set at 21 degrees celsius, it's a small room. It's like 8 feet by 25 feet. My desktop is on the opposite side of the room, compared to where the heater is.

By the way, this is the first time I've played games since December 20th, and I've never had issues with my PC until now. I played StarCraft 2 for longer time periods on this PC without having any issues, and this game is not as demanding as, say, games like Crysis or Battlefield. All I've done lately on this PC is internet browsing and watching videos on YouTube.

Here are my specs:
Windows 7 x64, SP1
Geforce GTX 760
|_ Driver version 344.11
ASUS Maximus Hero VII
1x8GB Kingston RAM (Blue cover, can't find it, can't remember the name, but I think it is "Blu" something)
850W ATX CORSAIR RM850 MODULAR 80+ GOLD
ST1000DM003-1CH162 ATA Primary HDD
ST31500341AS ATA Slave HDD (cannibalized from my older computer, it just sits there, I usually never access it, no program installed that requires it to access the slave drive)
Intel Core i5-4690 CPU
ATX COOLER MASTER HAF 912

My last PC also overheated and froze randomly, but while doing mundane tasks, like browsing a website, albeit that one was 6 years old and I replaced it last September.

I'm at a loss of words and I really can't afford to lose this new desktop PC. I built it a few months ago and it cost me 1500 bucks. Can't afford to spend money to replace it. What's the issue and how do I fix it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and my father mentioned to me how the CPU needed thermal paste most likely, as he didn't have to apply any, but I was told it had a small amount of thermal paste already applied to it (it did). My dad did unfortunately touch the paste slightly, to check if there was any there, from what I recall, when we assembled the computer, so perhaps he may have taken some off and that inadvertently caused this issue to appear over time?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Just found what the RAM is: Kingston HyperX Blu/Fury, DDR3, 1600Mhz.

Also, I find it funny how the RM850, a Gold 80+ certified PSU, and one of the best brands nonetheless (Corsair), which is almost brand new, and advertised especially for its "low noise" and "minimal excess heat generation" ('Zero RPM Fan Mode' according to their website) managed to end up doing this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.