Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2.5 year old HP Pavilion zv5000 laptop, no longer under warranty. Several times in the past couple weeks, I had a hard time getting the computer to start up again from being in hibernation.

Yesterday, for the first time, the computer itself seems to be working but the screen does not turn on. The power buttons and several other lights on the keyboard portion of the laptop are on, and you can hear the laptop running. However, there is no screen image - it is completely black, save for a short flicker when the computer turns on. I've tried connecting and disconnecting the power source, removing the battery, turning the computer all the way off then back on again - nothing is working.

Any ideas about what might be wrong, and approximate costs to fix it (aka is it worth paying out of pocket for)? And is it possible to attach a PC monitor to the laptop to use as a short-term fix? If so, what sort of cords are necessary?

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Hi,

I would first start out by testing the laptop on an external monitor. Plug the monitor in (to the VGA port on the laptop with a VGA/15 pin D-sub cable) and then boot, and see if you get an image on the external monitor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip. I did borrow an extra monitor from a friend and that monitor is working just fine, and all programs are running normally off the laptop.

So since the problem appears to be screen-related only, what might the problem be? Approximately how much might that cost to fix?

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
When you boot, shine a flashlight at the screen at a 45 degree angle, and see if you can faintly see an image. If you can, then it is a bad backlight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.