Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran across this file, BJaxSecurityManager.dll while cleaning up my harddrive and had never seen it before... it's in the c:\program files\common files\motive directory which I've never noticed before. The Properties window says that it's a product of Motive Communications, Inc. and the version is PowderKeg Build Ref. 20327. It was last accessed about a week ago, on 9/8/05, but it happened without my knowledge.

I've seen this file listed in other tech forums, and it doesn't seem to be a threat of any kind because even though it's showing up in other people's scan lists, nobody is tagging it as a threat. But I'd like to know what the file is, what it does, where it and the entire motive directory came from and why.

I'm in Win98SE and installed it about 9 months ago on a new harddrive and don't know where this motive directory came from, or how long it's been on my computer.

Can anybody help explain it?

·
TSF Security Manager, Emeritus
52,197 Posts
Motive Communications -

Likely installed by your ISP at some point. This dll file seems to be part of that package.

Used to be known as:

BroadJump - Newer name for BroadJump Foundation Client (BJCFD) from BroadJump.com, now Motive. The software collects information on your Internet activity and sends it to your ISP so that your ISP can serve you advertisements related to the type of sites you visit.

Support.com - Spyware from SupportSoft provided to manufacturers, such as Sony (Vaio Support Agent) and Toshiba (Virtual Tech), and ISPs, such as Comcast, Cox and Charter (Pipeline Support Agent), that allows them to offer on-line support. This part ensures that software is installed correctly. Regarded as spyware as it has the ability to retrieve user information.

I would ask your ISP on how to remove it and why they installed it in the first place. Please do not uninstall the program, since it may be required for your internet connection. This especially applies to those who use SBC as their ISP (Internet Service Provider). If they can't/won't resolve this problem for you, then it's time to switch to another provider that don't embed this spyware in their program. You will most likely also have BroadJump installed. The same situation applies here also. Try to find out how to remove it from your ISP. Don't uninstall it yourself.
Non-malicious, but intrusive. If you have doubts about what is on your system, please post a HijackThis log in our dedicated forum, here:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.