Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all

I have a very strange problem when copying formatted text from one application and pasting to another on my laptop (XP Pro x64 2Ghz 2GB) . The problem occurs when pasting. The first time I do so, there is a delay of around 10-15 seconds. If I then want to copy other formatted text between the same apps, there is then no more delay, until I switch to some other application, after which, going back and attempting more copy/paste betweent the original 2 apps has the same problem. Typically I'm copying between a browser (I use IE or Firefox) and a spreadsheet (excel 2003 or openoffice calc) but it happens between many other apps too (except notepad). The general performance of the machine is OK - I run statistical analysis apps and those run perfectly OK. I recently upgraded the RAM from 1GB to 2GB (max) with no discernable effect on anything. I defrag regularly, run ccleaner from time to time, have plenty of disc space and have updated antivirus and antispy/adware running.

While this problems is occuring (the 10-15 sec delay in pasting), the target app becomes non-responsive. If I switch back to another app and copy some different text before the paste has completed, it is this different text that is eventually pasted in the target, not the original text I copied. I have studied Task Manager to see what's happening. And nothing is happening. Literally. There is no hard drive activity and If I sort the Task Manager processes by CPU usage, normally there is a lot going on - the various processes are moving all the time, switching position, but when this problem occurs, the first thing to happen is that "System Idle Process goes to 99% or 100% and all the rest of the processes seem to do nothing. I just see a few "I/O Other" ticking over in a few processes Once the paste finally occurs, task manager goes back to normal.

Another performance problem I have is in IE when opening a new tab, the new tab open very slowly (10-15 secs). I recently upgraded to v8 and this problem seems to be a little worse now. I sometimes run 64 bit IE (no addins/plugins or toolbars) and other times 32 bit and the problem is the same with both versions. While this delay is occuring, Task Manager appears normal, although System Idle Process" is always around 90% CPU, and there is no hard drive activity, until the tab finally opens, at which point an ie process usually takes over using most CPU and the hard drive shows constant access for a second or so.

Any help or advice much appreciated
LR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,586 Posts
Hello and Welcome to TSF,

Are you using addons for the IE? if so

try removing them all, then reinstall each one and check when the IE slows down
from opening. Sometimes when installing addons they dont quite get installed properly
this will cause IE to hesitate and not open the page.

Try this first and see if this resolves the problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there, and thanks. I just have google toolbar on my 32bit IE, but the exact same problem occurs on 64bit IE which has no add ons at all. Anyway, I removed google toobar just now and there's no difference. This problem is quite similar to the copy/paste problem (IE becomes non-responsive during the delay (shows as "not responding" in task manager). Also, when IE loads for the first time, it's very fast. It's only when opening aditional tabs that this problem occurs.

Thanks again
LR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi again. ! I use different connections depending on where I am. At home I have direct connection to the ISP's main router. At work a router via a DSL modem, and at other times wireless. The problem does not appear to be any different depending on where I am. I've tried disabling the adapters I'm not using, and that also doesn't seem to have an effect.

Thanks again !!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,586 Posts
Ok see if this helps,

Renew the IP:
Start
run
type
cmd (Press Enter)
At the prompt type:

"ipconfig /release" ENTER
"ipconfig /flushdns" ENTER
"ipconfig /renew" ENTER

Maybe, do this everytime you use a different connection.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've tried the ipconfig commands, but it didn't have any effect. I'm often not connecteed to the internet at all - and in those cases I've tried disabling all the network adapter - no effect. As for the pagefile, it's already set to 3GB, but the pf usage shown by taskmanager rarely rises above 1GB and is usually less than 500MB.

Also, these problems occur in just the same fashion and severity if I have 2 apps running or 20, and whether just after a reboot or several days after a reboot.

Thanks again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
> Try using the pc with nod32 and adaware removed-don't connect to the internet and see if problem persists.

Thanks. I'm often not connecteed to the internet, in which case I disable the NOD32 service and close ad-ware....the problem is exactly the same.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top