Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I received back my recovered data from SeaGate recovery services. My original brand new 10TB external drive was bad so they replaced the drive under warranty and performed the data recovery successfully. The unit they sent my data back on is an 8TB (yes in addition to the replaced 10TB) external drive with my data encrypted with BitLocker. I have no problem with the PW - smooth sailing, but my questions now become:

1. Did they encrypt the entire 8TB?
  2. How do I tell if they encrypted the full 8TB?
  3. How long might it take to decrypt an entire external 8TB HDD?
  4. Is there any way to speed it up without screwing it up?
I started decrypting at approximately 3:30 PM and it is now 11:05 PM and it is only 12% completed.

I am on a 10 yr old HP Pavilion DV7 laptop
16GB RAM
Intel Core i7 @ 2.2 GHz
2 internal drives - C: = 1TB SSD and second is 1TB HDD

I don't want to find out it won't be decrypted until I am 70 and ready to retire (bear in mind I am currently only 54).

Sincerely,

Wonder Woman

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
29,770 Posts
Could take up to about 10 hours. You can do other work simultaneously.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could take up to about 10 hours. You can do other work simultaneously.
Thank you for your reply but as of 1:05 PM on July 10 (the next day) it is only at 19% completion.

UGH! This is frustrating!

Sincerely,

Wonder Woman

PS> In case it helps here's the drive's properties:

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
29,770 Posts
If it's actually making progress, let it continue.

EDIT: Just realized how slow your CPU is. My i5 on an old computer almost triples the ghz;

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, it’s a quad core i7 @ 2.2 GHz…… when I can put some money together I will be doing major tech upgrades starting with this laptop. I forgot how much data that needed to be recovered. My original intention was to build myself a super RGB creator desktop but with the chip shortage is making everything triple the price if you can even get the price it’s not worth doing. I would probably wind up paying $15,000 for a $5000 value computer. I know I have no points to let it continue until completion but I was just hoping for some sort of an idea or guesstimate that’s exactly how long it may actually take.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,917 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts