Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I recently bought a seagate barracuda 80gb (st380011a). Installed the hard drive as a slave with cable detect. Nothing got detected. I then set it up as a slave. Once again no dectection. Had bios set to Auto. I then manually entered drive info in bios (Cylinders, heads, sectors) started and said primary drive failed. I have an asus P4XP-Mx. Running windows XP. 256MB ram. Intel P4 2.4gb 533FSB. I have tried every combination and anything under the sun and well it's not getting detected. Am I missing something? :sad: :4-dontkno

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

What drive brand and size is the boot drive that you plan on keeping as Master? Was this main drive alone on the ribbon cable to start with?

If it were mine, i would take BOTH drives out, set your main drive that was in there to Master (check those jumpers)......remember, if a master, it goes on the END of the ribbon cable. Then take this newer drive and set the jumpers to slave and put it on the MIDDLE of the ribbon cable.

Also, just make sure you have an 80 connector cable and not the old 40 connector cable.

Give that a try and see what happens. Many times, we add a drive and forget how the master is set (Cable Select or Master), or if a WD drive and alone on the ribbon cable, jumpers might be set so that it would not work with another added drive without changing jumpers.

Let us know what happens and give us more information about the other drive.

Oh, almost forgot, has this drive been partitioned and formatted? Also, list your OS that you are using.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Tumbleweed,

It's a seagate Barracuda 80gb... and I have tried every jumper configuration that seagate had. (those that would work of course.) Using 80 connector cable. I have plug the slave on the gray connector.. blue on plugged in the mother board and black one plugged in master.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi again,

I am assuming from what you said that the main primary master hard drive works unless you put the new drive on the cable....is this correct????

If it is (assuming again), then take the new hard drive and set it as secondary Master on IDE #2. You may have to move a couple of CDRom drives around to do this, but worth a try.

Give that a try and post back and don't forget you have to check the jumpers of ANY drive on both cables.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I put the second drive on the cable... the primary master hard drive works fine.... I will try moving the cd rom drives and give it a go

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

So glad you got it going. Darn things can be a pain at times, but what would we do without them. Now, about the million....you are most welcome, but now you owe it to us to not be a stranger on here.....only kidding, but we would like it very much if you would visit the forum from time to time and if you see something that you know about....lend a hand. Have a wonderful weekend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.