Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try to make this as short as possable. I bought a new Dell, our old computer was placed in storage for 6 months. I'm setting up a network for our children. I get the old computer 900 Mhz cpu, DFI Rev A motherboard, Phoenix BIOS. I reformatted the hard drive, installed Win XP home w/sp2 (the original OS since day 1). Computer ran fine for 2 days, my son tried to install an old DOS game. 1/2 way through the set up program Win XP asked for the ADMIN password, I wasn't home so he left the computer on for the rest of the day. I tried to enter the password but the computer froze. I have tried everything to get this thing up and running, here's where I'm at.

New power supply, different hard drive, Video card works fine in another computer, all 3 128MB PC133 RAM SIMMS work fine and pass memory tests in another computer, No PCI expansion cards installed.

I remove the CMOS battery, Wait about an hour, reinstall the battery, computer boots up from the hard drive and runs fine (haven't tried to install any programs yet). Turn off the computer (shut down through windows), try to restart the computer, nothing, no video, no setup program, hard drive doesn't spin, CD doesn't spin, nothing. I remove the CMOS battery for about an hour, put it back in, everything runs fine, shut down the computer, try to restart it nothing.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
did you use a dell power supply when you replaced it
before the p4 dells used propriatary psu's not a standard atx

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
did you use a dell power supply when you replaced it
before the p4 dells used propriatary psu's not a standard atx
Hey thanks alot, I replaced the power supply with the wrong type. Grabbed a used power supply from one of my older units, now every thing is working fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.