Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today i bought a Manhattan SATA150 RAID Controller PCI Card and installed it into my system.
Its using a Silicon image SI3512 Chipset.
I attached 2 HDD to it, one WD Caviar 500GB and another Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB.
The problem is that, when the Silicon Image BIOS starts, it will take very long time for it to boot into the system bios (the one where they say "updating ESCD, Verifying POOL DATA etc"
It will just be stuck at "Press F4 or Ctrl+s to enter RAID Config."
It will then taker long time to list out both drives connected (About 15 - 20mins??) sometimes, juyst stuck there and i just restart.
Also, after it accessed the system bios, the system bios will be stuck too, stuck at "Updating ESCD... Success" then have to wait long.

But one thing i noticed is that, when i disconnect both HDD, everything will be fine.
Boot will be usual fast speed.
But as long as i attach one HDD to it, it will be back to the same.
If i attach the WD Caviar, it takes lesser time for the Silicon bios to list the drives.
If i attach the Seagate, it will take the longest time.

What on earth is the problem?

Im using a old Pentium 4 mobo, MSI PM8M-V,
Pentium 4 3.0GHz @ 3.5GHz with Ht.

·
Moderator; Hardware
19,889 Posts
Unless you are trying to boot from those drives, ensure you have the boot order set properly in the BIOS and ensure the new card isn't in the boot order. Also, some cards have a jumper to enable/disable their ability to be bootable.

You may also want to contact the manufacturer. It could be a known issue easily resolved with a firmware update.

Or the card could simply be faulty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok i played aroudn with the jumpers and disabled the BIOS. now its much faster, just that windows 7 still takes a long time to start, about 5mins at "starting Windows" screen. but well, at least i dont need to wait half an hour for my com to start up like last tiem anyway.
Im checking to see if there is any comflict of the card with win7

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i found more info

More info:
I realised win7 detects the drives as SCSI devices.
Also, whenever i open a program that would detect the HDD info, eg: Seagate drive detect/ EVEREST Home/SpeedFan, Win7 would hang randomly for 1min or so, then come back to normal.
Im guessing that there is a conflict with these HDD and Win 7. Not very sure though.

·
Moderator; Hardware
19,889 Posts
The drives showing up as SCSI is normal. Even XP will list drives attached to addon controllers as SCSI.

I'm not sure why the boot time would be longer, at least on the Windows loading screen. Some cards delay post as they scan all ports for hardware, but that is before the loading screen. However, as that appears to be an older card, it's possible the drivers aren't functioning properly under Win7.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.