Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

BIOS screwed up

1K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  TheTechIsIn 
#1 ·
A few days ago my BIOS screwed up. It took a very long time to test my memory and it didnt detect my cd-roms/floppy drive. And it said that my memory speed was DDR200 and it really is DDR266. The boot sequence was also all screwed up and nobody was on my computer. I cleared the BIOS and had to reinstall Windows. My computer works fine now :D, but I am just curious what happened! Does anyone know what could have gone wrong?

#4 ·
Could be I said :D, and battery's like mobo's are all different, sometimes mobos right out of the box don't work, same with everything else, it could be the battery you got just isn't cutting it. I had a couple computers do that to me, you could try changing it out .. a new battery's like $2. So even if it doesn't change anything at least your not out that much.

#5 ·
Yeah, I checked around. CMOS batteries are alot cheaper than I remember. About 4 years ago, when I was in a high school electronic class we had to replace all the computers' CMOS batteries and they were about $20 a pop. They were the kind that looks like a battery pack for a cordless phone(but smaller). Nothing has happened in the past few days but I'll go ahead and pick one up. Thanks for your reply.

#6 ·
I remember those :), they were big in those IBM machines that could not be upgraded because they used that proprietary IBM crap ... VESA? no thats not it .. it was ... crap I cant think of it but anyway I know what your talking about ... your right, it is allot cheaper now because they basically use watch battery's these days.

[Note]
If anyone could refresh my memory I'm looking for the architecture that IBM PS/2 machines were based on. Its gonna bug me all night now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.