Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I recently ourchased the GA-7VRXP Gigabyte motherboard, and proceeded to destroy the BIOS (without backing it up to the backup bios or floppy disk), Yes thats right, im a genius.

After eventually getting gigabytes number (thanks Heathen) and speaking to Gigabyte, they say they wil fix it costing me:

a: £5 if the BIOS is removable (mentioned something about sliding a thin screwdriver underneath it)

OR

b: £25 if it is not removable and I have to send the entire goard back.

By the way, I have run all the rescue utilities that are meant to re-flash the bios, nothing helped, please assume that the bios is DEAD.

Question is:

Has anyone removed the bios before (Any tips)?
Why dont Gigabye know if the BIOS is removable on my board (since they made it)?
any other useful comments, (apart from maybe I should back up BIOS before upgrading)

Many thanks

Graham

·
Registered
711 Posts
You can usually tell by looking at the BIOS chip on your board if its removeable. On Asus boards it is,. on my MSI .. I think I'm out of luck and its soldered on. Most don't even require the screw driver you can just give it a little nudge and remove it. I have a feeling the support folks you are contacting are contracted out from gigabyte since most mainboard manufacturers are asian and that number was for britain? So without looking at the white papers it'd be hard to tell without eye balling the thing :) Good luck though Grahahm.

S

·
0 Posts
If it is the removable type it will be in a black plastic socket with a dozen or so pins on two sides sticking into the socket. Be careful when removing it prying up a little from each side at a time so as not to crack the socket...................:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.