Hello, my computer specs are as follows:

AMD 64 3200+

ASUS K8V SE Deluxe

1 Gig Corsair 3200

Maxtor 80gig SATA

ATI Radeon 9800 pro

Win XP Pro (SP2)

Thermaltake 430W PSU

I built this computer about 14 months ago and haven't had a single problem with it thus far. Yesterday, while running some routine applications I received the Blue Screen of Death for the very first time since building this box. I didn't get a chance to look at the error messages because it shut off too quickly and then restarted itself.

As it booted back up, I noticed that it hung for a very long time on the loading screen for well over 5 minutes so I again shut it off for a few minutes. After booting back up (BIOS is reporting everything as fine, including temps), I'm at the part where it asks if I would like to start it in Safe Mode because it didn't load properly before. I select yes, it then throws well over 20 errors saying it is unable to load from a partition, with the path - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS. None of these files are loading properly.

After trying that a few times with no success, I throw in my Windows install disk and try to do ASR or at least let me partition my drive. It is saying that it cannot find my hard disk. I try this a few times, then run down to Best Buy and pick up a new HDD because I assumed my other one is toast. Get home, install the new one, boot up from the Windows disk and the same thing happens. Yes, I installed the drivers using F6 during the installation. Just for the hell of it, I remove my hard drive and try booting up the machine and BIOS tells me that no hard disk was found.

My question is, BIOS is reporting that my HDD is indeed there or else it isn't booting up properly. Why all of a sudden Windows is not recognizing that my HDD exists after having worked for well over a year.

Any insight is appreciated, thank you.

·
Registered
590 Posts
a quick tip,

under control panel /system/performance/"somewhere on the bottom"

There is a check box that says "automatically reboot"

deselect it, because it automatically reboots the computer when it blue screen of death's on you. Then you will be able to read error messages.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tip. It's been a while since I've looked at my mobo manual but I will try and set that up.

Can that be done through BIOS or is it a fix on the hardware level?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just checked the manual and setting it to run in IDE mode is in reference to the Promise controller. For the past year, I have had my Promise controller disabled and to my knowledge, am just using the VIA controller for my HDD.

I'm thinking about exchanging the SATA drive I just bought for an IDE and seeing if that works. This is very frusterating.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.