Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently tried installing windows 7 alongside my vista on a partition.
the CD was corrupt and canceled the install, so my laptop restarted...i got to the TOSHIBA screen and then all i get is a plain black screen with a white flashing light in the corner. there is no activity from the HDD and if the power button is pressed the computer turns off straight away rather than having to hold it for 10 seconds.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
not exactly a BIOS problem, just means your laptop isn't really finding something to boot from, basically the boot sector on your hard drive is there, but gone and needs to be fixed.

also, you said you were trying to dual boot windows 7 and vista on a (single) partition, its alot easier to do it on seperate partitions and you won't hose the boot record.

To fix, if you have a vista cd, you can boot to that and do a repair, if you don't have a vista disc, then you may have to run the system recovery which will delete your data.

Edit: once vista is back up and running, you can seperate the hard drive into two partitions and then install windows 7 on the second partition to. Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disc Manager and right click the hard drive and you can make the C drive smaller and create another partition.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.