Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I seem to having some troubles with bios detecting my hard disk. I have 2x HDD one master one slave. I start my computer and enter BIOS and I notice that primary master/slave are both empty. I go into primary and auto-detect and that works fine. I then go to primary slave and go to auto detect but it does not come up with anything. (If I unplug the primary and start up bios it then can detect the slave.) I save bios and exit with the primary master set. It goes to the HP screen and stays there. I then shutdown/start up the PC again and it does not detect the primary master. I go into BIOS and again the primary master is not there.

I have BIOS to boot hard drive so I know that is not a problem either.

I have both jumpers set to CS. The primary master came with the computer (HP Pavilion) and I bought the slave seperate. They have both been running fine together for awhile and this is a sudden problem. I have also checked all the plugs and I know the IDE cords are correct (slave first and master on the end).

Why isnt bios auto-detecting the hard drive?

I have attached my system specs. Sorry for all the clutter, but I just happened to have this emailed to myself and obviously I cant start my computer to get better info.

I will continue to try to troubleshoot this myself and will post any updates that I have.

Thanks for the help,
Droog

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well after some poking around I have found a few possible solutions though I havent tried any yet;
Replace CMOS battery
Boot in Knoppix to test if HDD is dead (I have a knoppix cd but I dont know how to test the HDD's)
Load default BIOS settings

On a similar thread I found this:
kodi said:
Just to rule out faulty cable and motherboard connector unplug the flat cable from the DVD and plug it into the hardrive then see if it is recognised in the bios.
Also not sure if you have been asked this but is the hardrive jumpered as master (if you are not sure please post back)
As I mentioned both jumpers are on CS, I havent tried switching the cables.

Also I dont see the attachment, but it says it got uploaded. Anyone else get it? Here is the link to it just incase: http://www.techsupportforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4429

Again thanks for the help in advance :)
Droog

·
Premium Member
8,701 Posts
Change the jumpers to slave and master on the appropriate hardrive, then set the bios to auto for both,Make sure that you save before exitting the BIOS (usually F10).
The quote from above was for a different situation so dont do that just yet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, I have set the jumpers to the correct hard drives. In BIOS i did the auto for both, again it found the master but not the slave. And it still is not detecting the drives after I reboot. (When I reboot and come back to BIOS it lost the primary master).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.