Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago I put a new motherboard in my computer, a MSI K8N Neo2Platinum.
It ran very well until 2 days ago.
When I turn the computer on now it freezes in POST just after the BIOS version appears, and before the memory check. There is also one beep from the mainboard speaker.
If I press the reset switch it then starts normally and goes into Windows and runs smoothly.
I have checked the BIOS beep codes but can't find anything for 1 beep, not for Phoenix Award at least.
I updated the BIOS a while ago and while there is a newer version out it does not affect my computer's setup...I don't like updating BIOS anyway!
So what could be the cause of this?
Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.
How do I reset the CMOS exactly?
I have plenty of power (470 Watts).
I will try the Memtest again...

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcome to TSF:

to reset you cmos do the following

1) very important ~~ pull the power supply plug out of the electrrical house socket

2) remove the cmos battery from the mobo for 30 minutes (cmos battery is the shiny silver watch like looking battery about one inch in diameter)

3) change the jumper pins labeled CLRTC in your mobo manual from the current setting to the clear position (clrtc pins are usually real close to the cmos battery)

after 30 minutes reverse the steps above and restart your system / then enter the bios and select "reset default settings" then select save current settings and exit

You should review your mobo manual prior to doing this / this is really an easy process if you follow the steps carefully

regards

joe

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi and thanks for the clear instructions.
Just one more question. Just how risky is it to flash the BIOS. The MSI website says they will not be held responsible for problems arising from flashing the BIOS. Does this mean it is a risky and potentially damaging thing to do if not done right? I have flashed the BIOS once but it was nerve wracking!
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
the only time to flash the bios,is when you need an updated one to fix a problem
and there is always a risk attached to it
if you follow the instructions for flashing,it is minimal but always there

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.