Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone..im sorry if i posted my question in the wrong thread because i cannot seem to find the right tread for these.

i am having a hard time flashing my bios. i do not have a floppy drive and im using a usb flash drive. i dont know if this is a valid way in doing it. please brighten me up if i am doing the correct way.

first thing i did was to make my usb bootable. after that i downloaded the BIOS update from LENOVO. i am using a laptop thinkpad T43. the bios update was a diskette type of installation. i downloadded also a virtual floppy drive image. i extracted the downloaded bios to the drive A: and copied it to my USB flash drive. i am just confused because somebody told me to use win98 bootdisk. i tried that and saved the win98 bootdisk to mu USB and there were the same files from the bios extracted update and the win98 bootdisk like COMMAND.COM, AUTOEXEC.BAT, CONFIG.SYS...but if i put a check mark in the hide portected operating system file, those file types will disaappear.

i just dont know how to do it. hope anyone could help me. i will appreciate any suggestion and help. thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
do you have a good reson to flash your bios? i have a new build and have flashed the bios twice because of some problems the update would solve. you will nead to doot in dos mode. go in bios setup and set first doot drive A SAVE CHANGES AND EXIT when the computer doots up it should ask you to put a disk in A: usb flash drive. if your computer doots up you have dos on usb flash drive. DONT DO ANY THING. JUST TURN YOUR COMPUTER OFF. this is just to see if your computer will boot up from your usb flash drive. remove flah/d turn on pc run setup change first boot drive to C: THANK ABOUT THIS BEFORE YOU TRY IT!!!!!!!!. on py pc i can hold down f8 and change first doot drive without without runing setup. you might try this during post. this is just part of what you need to do !!!!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i tried that already. it recognizes the usb drive but i cannot flash it. i dont know how to do it. when my pc boots the usb i have a drvive c: i checked the directory and i can see the bios filesin my usb drive buti dont know what to type. i tried all the exe fils inside buti am having an error like bios.wph cannot be found or cannot flashif memory adapter is present something like that. hope anyone could help;. tnx

·
Registered
7 Posts
GOT2B, at the C:\ prompt type dir if you see the system files you are in dos mode. COMMAND.COM, AUTOEXEC.BAT, CONFIG.SYS ect. you are where you should be. there is a bios flash utility AFUDOS (afudos.exe) this utlity works for me (I AM NOT SAYING IT WILL WORK ON YOUR COMPUTER AS I SAY THANK ABOUT IT BEFOUR YOU DO IT)
you can download afudos fron ASUS.COM/downloads. save it on FLASH/DRIVE USE A CLEAN FLASH/DRIVE you dont want any files on the F/D execpt xxxx.rom ,afudos.exe save your bios xxxx.rom update to the F/D should be somthing like this 1234.rom next find your bios verson number 1234 ect, write it down on paper also write down the updat rom mumber. doot your computer the other F/D at the C:\TYPE DIR .should see
COMMAND.COM, AUTOEXEC.BAT, CONFIG.SYS if you see this type cls should have C:\ fi
you do ok . you have to be in dos for this to work. try this to see if you can git this for.
DONT DO ANY THING MORE. try this. umplug F/D plug F/D with afudos on it tpe a:\dir should see afudos.exe,xxxx.rom files only.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.