Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to fix my mom's computer. (Pentium III 450MHz no-name). There were 3 hard drives in the system, a 5GB Maxtor, 30GB Western Digital, and an 80GB WD.

The problem was simple, Windows XP was installed on the 5GB and was out of space. My plan was to put Windows on the 30GB, the page file and temp folder on the 5GB and have the 80GB for backups and network share.

I used Darik's Boot and Nuke to blank all drives, then GParted to set partitions and format. I started the fresh XP install and after the reboot following text mode setup there was a drive read error. I attempted to see if it would go away if I changed the Master/Slave configuration around.

Original Setup
Primary Master: 5GB Maxtor
Primary Slave: 30GB WD
Secondary Master: CD-ROM drive
Secondary Slave: 80GB WD
New Setup
Primary Master: 30GB WD
Primary Slave: 80GB WD
Secondary Master: CD-ROM drive
Secondary Slave: 5GB Maxtor
I've tried a each drive one by one and the BIOS won't recognize the 80GB, yet it did originally. I started this project a week ago and I'm basically at my last thread of sanity with this and my mother is ready to take my head off.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
My guess would be the 80gig just went bad could you try it in another computer to see if it can be recognized.

When your trying the various master slave compinations are you also moving the drive on the cable? In other words when you set it as master are you moving it to the end of the cable?

I would also try another ide cable

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It going bad wouldn't surprise me, it's the newest of the three. I was moving the cable positions as well as the jumpers. I'll have to look if I have another cable.

And aren't there usually warning signs that a drive is about to die? It was good until I moved the cables.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Changing the IDE leads to the same result, the auto detection sticks on the Primary Slave.

I'd try it in another computer but all I have is a laptop and no internal to external usb converter.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
Yea there is usually warning signs but you know how electronics can be, a hdd does have a board in it that I have already damage I am just speculating though

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.