Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have Dell Dimension 8100 desk top. 4/5 years old running XP. It has 2 internal hard drives and 2 internal media drives. It has been working good till I copied some data from a CD to an external harddrive connected through USB.

Now I see that the PC behaviour is very unpredictable. There are "blue screen of death" a lot of times with various resons. At one point it asked me to set up time. I am not sure why?

So I thought I should reinstall the OS. But I figured out that there is a basic problem of BIOS not recognising both the CD-R and DVD-RW drives. Also, there drives are not in the DeviceManager as well as in teh explorer window (Obvious I thought).

Please help me on what all checks I should do to get these drives recognised by the BIOS. Or help me in solving the root cause of the problem.

Regards,
IWORK.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The drives are IDE 40 pin connectors. I had disconnected and connected them back in place a lot of times in the past 3/4 days. Is it possible that the cable might have gone bad? Today I would try with a different cable. Let me know if anything else that you think might be of a problem.

Regards,
IWORK

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
A faulty cable is certainly a possibility on a 4-5 yr. old cable.
Try uninstalling the drives in Device manager. Windows will reinstall them when you reboot.
When you get a Blue Screen, copy down the Error Codes and post them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I still have not checked with the new cable. I will get back some time today.
As far as reinstalling the drivers in the device manager, how is it possible? I do not see my drives at all in the device manager. BIOS as well as XP do not recognise the drives and explorer and device manager will not have the drives in the list. Please let me know if and how it can be done.

Regards,
IWORK.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh Lord !!! How to make my PC up and running? :)

I spent a lot of time last night. There were atleast 5/6 types of crashes. Please have some patience to go through this mail.

I tried with a new cable to connect to my CD and DVD drives. But there is no difference. They do not show up in BIOS. But I see that there is a crash after I log in. So I disconnected both the drives from the PC and then I see the following crashes.

1. After power is switced ON, I do not see anything on the screen. This happened 2/3 times after power is switced OFF and then ON. At fourth time, BIOS screen comes up and stops in the middle.
2.After power cycle, before BIOS screen comes up there is a message saying " previous attempts failed to boot at the checkpoint "SIZE". Now, it boots properly, I get a log in screen, then after login, XP comes up and before I do anything, it crashes and I get a blue screen of death. "STOP:: 0x000000F4"
3. After power cycle, next blue screen of death, "STOP: 0x00000050".
4. After power cycle, screen is blank, the led on the monitor goes from green to orange.
5. After power cycle, stops at the middle of the BIOS screen.

I have no clue what is that I should do now. Please help.

Regards,
IWORK.

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
A STOP 0x000000f4 error is a CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION. This
indicates that a process or thread crucial to system operation has
unexpectedly exited or been terminated.

I would suspect some sort of virus, trojan, or advertising spyware
infestation is behind this.

What I would do if I were you (hopefully you have a proper xp disk or restore disk) is wipe your hard drive. This looks like you have some sort of malware issue (lots of viruses).

But first whilst booting up press F8 repeatedly to go into safe mode and run a full virus scan if you can. I suspect the viruses you may have have infected the Master boot record on the hard drive and are somehow causing your hardware not be recognised properly.

please post back before you attempt to wipe your system if the virus scan in some mode does not work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had spybot and windows defender installed on my PC. I think both of them are actively running in the background allways. I ran both of them manually once the problem started. So do you think those are good enough?

I have the original XP CD. When you say wipe out the harddisk, how? Format? In that case, how do I reboot, if CD/DVD drive does not work?

What may be the reason for some times it does not show anything on the monitor when switched ON? video driver corrupted?

I will try the your suggestion today. Please suggest.

Regards,
IWORK.

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
The virus that could be causing the issue could be stopping the drives from being recognised by the system. When I say wipe I do indeed mean wiping the drive and partition and installing from scratch.

try downloading Avira which is free and running that and also you could visit the trend micro website and run their online scanner.

do not wipe until you have ran either one or both of these.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.