Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have an Award-Phoenix BIOS dated 2003 on another PC, that was giving a POST failure beep on bootup with many different RAM sticks. More here http://www.techsupportforum.com/f210/i-need-some-ram-for-a-pc3200-what-about-this-128661.html

It now switches on but keeps rebooting coming to a black screen to choose bootup options, repeatedly. The HDD I used is this one, a perfect installation of XP Pro SP2 so I know nothings wrong with the OS or HDD itself. I've tried the CPU from the PC concerned and it works perfectly on this and another computer and the temps are pretty good too. PSU is fine and so is the RAM - obviously only leaving the mobo itself as culprit, if everything is right elsewhere.

When I insert the RAM its supposed to handle, I get a beeping noise. Its a 1-2-1-2-1-2 high-low beep. I'm unsure what the codes mean for this BIOS, but more unsure of which BIOS manu. to checkup the codes against?

Any help is appreciated. :grin:

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
check the beep code here
www.bioscentral.com
I asked for not knowing which manufacturer to look up. I already have the beep codes both for Phoenix and Award BIOS but which one out of the two do I use (they differ)?

you cannot take a h/d from one computer and put in another one and expect it to work
?

Erm, I was testing if the OS was corrupt on the HDD as it was showing and diagnosed by a few people as that. But it wasn't, so I had no need of doing a repair or format reinstall like others were saying.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right. I think I know what it is.

I reset the Video aperture.. well I didn't but upon clearing the CMOS thats automatic. The images I saw of the BIOS before that are like screenshots on my mind.. so when I looked again and saw the value to 64, I quirked that its most likely 128 thats needed. However I didn't change it back until sure.

Got it now thanks!

I think thats one of the first tests aswell - the video/graphics. Monitor works perfectly on 4 other systems and powers up. Video is onboard shared and not touched since purchase.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.