Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I was wondering if I was infected with some sort of undetectable bios-based rootkit. For some reason my hardware profile says (runing winxp) that I have a floppy drive installed. However, i do not have one even connected to my system. Is there some simple reason this seemingly virtual drive shows up in my hardware profile? I have tried flashing BIOS from the jumper on the board and that seemed to work fine allowing password reset and what not but it still detected that i had a floppy drive and assigned it to 1st boot priorety. Could I have some sort of rootkit hiding in a USB memory module? If i do is there a way to check for this? How much possible info can be stored in a module and can these modules be linked to piece together larger code?

I am running McAfee Total Protection and it doesnt seem to find anything, tho, if it were bios-based i believe any antivirus protection would be patched as it were being installed. Would no doubtedly have net access to possibly patch windows components..? Or maybe im just paranoid and never noticed the floppy before. Either way I hope someone can enlighten me on this mysterious drive.

TIA,
Str8fe

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.