Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey thanks for anyone that can help me out.

We have a wireless d link router with a laptop running wireless, and a desktop (windows 98) beside the router with a direct connection to the router.
I see that when I plug the modem into the router and the laptop isn't even powered on, my download/upload speeds are literally cut in half. We have a decent cable connection so im surprised to see this such crud download speeds.

Also, before i had a router i would direct connect with my friend to play emulators.
Just recently he got the exact same setup as me, they got a router , with 2 computers connected one via wireless. As soon as i get my router and try to host it no longer works. Also other multiplayer games when i join servers it is extremely choppy and laggy when i host.

This is obviously the means of my router i am just clueless as to what to do maybe somthing to do with port forwarding?? :pray:

·
Citizen of the world
51,139 Posts
This isn't port forwarding, though it might be an MTU size issue.

It would help a bunch if you specified the make/model of the modem in use, as well as the make/model of the router. Right now we're guessing about most of the parameters.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay thats a good point. I realize that we traded our original modem that we payed for, for a crappy trade in modem.
The modem is a Scientific Atlanta DPC2100 series cable modem.
My router is a Linksys Wireless-G broadband router. The model number is WRT54G-CA.
The ethernet card on the computer in question is a VT6102 Rhine II fast ethernet adapter which is directly connected to the router.
The other computer (laptop) networked has a wi-fi card, a linksys d-link or watever.

thanks alot in advance :pray:

·
Citizen of the world
51,139 Posts
Apparently, your "modem" is actually a modem/router: http://www.sciatl.com/customers/Source/7007012.pdf

With that in mind, you have two options.

1. Use my configuration for combining two routers.

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

2. Configure Bridge Mode

You can also look at configuring it in Bridge Mode to operate with the router. Here's a page with links to the user guide: http://www.scientificatlanta.com/products/consumers/new_cablemodems_userguides.htm

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is indeed the same modem i have, but i fail to understand how it can act as a router, can you please explain that to me. Can it act as a router through my computers configuration? because it only has one outgoing port.. please explain

·
Citizen of the world
51,139 Posts
A router doesn't have to have multiple ports, you can put a switch on the single output port to split the connection. The routing function just provides the NAT translation to allow multiple local computers to connect to a single public IP address.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
okay going back to the 2 methods you suggested earlier 1 and 2 , could you please explain it like im a bit of a dumbhead. I mean im fairly compitant with windows and devices and such, but i fail to understand why my current setup is causing my problems. Okay i assume that my primary router would be the modem/router.

how do i have 2 networks between the two routers.. and why is it causing me problems and whether i should bridge or use your configuration

·
Citizen of the world
51,139 Posts
Right now you have two NAT translation layers running, which will cause issues trying to forward ports, and may cause the lags you talk about. My two connection suggestions eliminate one of the routing functions from the mix.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
okay im still confused as to which is my primary router and secondary router.
i suppose im trying to eliminate the routing function in my modem? I was under the assumption that cable DHCP automatically aquires the gateway and ip adress.

thanks alot for the help dude :pray:

·
Citizen of the world
51,139 Posts
The primary router is the one connected to the ISP account. The secondary router is the one connected to the primary router.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you said
- "Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router."

I already had the wireless setup on the linksys router , so im wondering what i should have had setup..?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hi i tried setting the ip of the linksys router to the one you suggested. and disabled the DHCP configuration and afterwards i was unable to get it working. I had to set it back to the way it was.

The one thing i may have done wrong, you said connect the modem to the router through a LAN port correct? One of the 4 ports besides the port which im assuming is the WAN port.
So it would be using that one ip adress you suggested for both of them?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
okay it worked like a charm . im having problems configuring the wireless connection on the laptop its bringing up the network, but when i try to connect, it tries to retrieve the ip for minutes and then fails.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
yea i think im missing somthing .. :(
I disabled dhcp server in the router, and i changed the routers ip address to the one you had suggested. This worked once or twice where i was able to get online but somehow i ended up resetting it again and using the WAN port for the modem. As soon as i plug the modem into the LAN port on the router and hit save settings, it tells me to refresh my ip and when i do winipcfg crashes every time so i have to go back and reset the router and reconfigure everything from scratch.
possibly somthing to do with TCP/IP configurations?
can you point out any problems, an explanation or give me any foolproof tips please i wanna play games and stuff but i dont wanna have to unplug the router every time.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
well i guess there is a way to be sure, my linksys router has 4 ports for connecting computers, and a port labelled internet.
If i am not mistaken, are not these 4 ports for LAN ?

I have the modem with ethernet cable going into the linksys router into a port labelled internet. then beside it, there are 4 ports 1,2,3,4. To clarify, which of these should i be connecting my modem to?
Thanks so much, plz bare with me.

·
Citizen of the world
51,139 Posts
You connect it to the Internet/WAN port, not the Network/LAN port. You previously said you plugged it into the LAN port.

Note that my instructions were all for modifications to the secondary router, you shouldn't change ANYTHING on the previously working primary router, in your case that would be the modem.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hi, it seems that either when i change the secondary routers IP adress or disable the dhcp server and save settings, it says refresh ip .
I go into winipcfg and it freezes every time, so i have to reset my router.
I dont understand whats happening.

·
Citizen of the world
51,139 Posts
You have to connect the secondary router to a machine with NO other connections, configure it as described, then connect it to the primary router and proceed. It's best to reset the secondary router to factory defaults before you start this procedure.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.