Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, basically this machine is three years old, never had a problem until a week or so ago. Now, I can't start up any graphically intensive game at all without it completely locking up the entire system and forcing a hard reboot.

System specs:

Athlon 64 3000+
1 gig ddr400
onboard sound
geforce 6600gt
msi k8t800pro mobo
Antec 400w PSU

Here's what I've done so far.

-reinstalled windows
-updated all appropriate drivers (soundcard, vid card, mobo, etc.)
-reinstalled directx 9.0c
-disabled soundcard and attempted to play
-ran memtest86+ which reported many errors
-replaced RAM
-checked temperatures, all of which were fine

This affects the following games: F.E.A.R., S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Half-Life 2, Far Cry, and Doom 3. Previously all these games ran fine on this machine. The only thing I can think of from here is a faulty power supply, but as you can see, it's a pretty high quality PSU, so I dunno.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Hi,

Errors in Memtest are usually a bad sign. Make sure you are running Memtest on each stick individually. Also, try running the game with only one stick, then the other and see if you get lock-ups.

·
Team Manager , Articles Team
11,900 Posts
G'Day Sullio...Welcome to TSF! :wave:

It looks as though your power supply is not strong enough to play some of your highly intensive graphic type games.

I arrived at this deduction, by using this; it is an Industry standard Power Supply Calculator.

Going by the sparse information you have given us, I was able to make a calculated 'guess' as to the size of an adequate PSU that you would require to properly play those games without interruption or problems.

The calculations look like this.....

Your PSU is a 400W

Calculated requirement = 382W
You need to add 30% for maximum loading = 114.6W
Recommended PSU = 496.6W, or a minimum of 500W!

This equation shows that your PSU is Under-Powered for what you want it to do.
(Try the Power Supply Calculator for yourself and see the results.)

For us to correctly advise you, please use this link to a comprehensive Tutorial Guide Article about Everest™Home Edition.
In the article you will be able to download (and install) the Freeware program.

The information that we require can be found in the Computer Section under the Sensor Sub-category.

Please post back this information so that we can properly assess your issue.

Regards,

·
Registered
13,828 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help, I've pretty much deduced that it's a failing PSU as well. However, with that site linked earlier in this thread, I arrived at 269w requirement... strange.

Either way, after replacing the RAM and that not helping, it can really only be a failing PSU, possibly a dying GPU. So I won't be doing much until it's time for a complete system upgrade. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
If you can manage to boot, go into the BIOS and check your voltages. Post them here and that will determine if the PSU is providing enough voltage.

RAM being undervolted can cause this. a GPU problem would likely show different symptoms.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for the delay, been working on different issues.

Voltages are as follows:

5.1v on +5 rail
3.28v on +3.3 rail
11.4 on +12 rail

The last one is a little low, which would be expected since that's the important rail in graphics rendering. Only thing is, I don't know how to translate volts into amps, and that would give me more insight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.