Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

i'm having a huge problem. i don't know how this started, but all my .exe files turned to .lnk files, and everything (and i mean everything) opens up with notepad...this is driving me nuts. i search 'round the forum and found some fixes for file associations but it's no use: they're all .reg files but i cant' merge them! guess what? it opens up with notepad. even when i try start -> run -> regedit . it won't work!

i tried having a look in file associations, under options -> preferences (smthg like that) but there's no association for REG files. should there be one?

what can i do? btw, i'm running maxthon (my internet browser) because i was fortunate to open a random .html file, because if i try to open maxthon directly through maxthon.exe it won't work.

i'm stumped here, and my pc is useless this way...

what can i do?

tnks a lot []

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tnks for that

the problem is that i have no entry for .exe files in FileExts as said in that link...

may that be the problem?

oh and for an update on the status of my pc, i've now managed to restore SOME file associations, at least the most important: .exe's work, .reg's work...etc..however, .doc's were associated with notepad, instead of normally word. also, .zip files are not associated properly.

all in all, my pc's a mess right now. the startup is a laugh, half of the programs don't startup, no program appears on the systray...

...oh and when i'm starting windows, i got a box, a grey one, no title, with strange text in it...just some rectangles, as if it were written in a font the pc does not recognize...

oh god, i've never had my pc in such a bad shape..will someone help? has this happened to anyone? could this be virus? i'm scanning as we speak, btw....

=(

[]

·
Registered
30 Posts
try.. right-click the file > open with > choose program > select notepad > tick always use this selected program... > click ok > should now be associated with notpad do the same with the zip files :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
you could also disable the startup program in MSCONFIG
start > run > msconfig > startup(the [TAB] at the top right) > disable all > apply > close > restart > after restart click dont display this message again > click OK

see if you get the message anymore this will half all programs/applications which have been set to startup with windows on each user also you could try safemode and see if its the same.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
hmm, i was thinking of repairing winxp

what will i lose? what do i have to save? my documents i reckon? i also have some programs installed on my c: drive.

u guys think repairing windows will do it?

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
You will not lose any programs or settings if you do a repair install. You will however need to install the Service Packs and Critcal Updates again.

How to preform a repair install:
Set the comp to boot from cd first in the bios
Place the xp cd in cdrom and reboot
Boot from the xp cd and choose install
Ignore the first repair option and continue with install
When windows finds the previous installation and offers to repair
then do the repair
If you have xp sp2 installed it needs to be incorporated into your xp disk or it will not offer the repair option only the clean install

How to perform a Repair Installation of Windows XP

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Geekgirl said:
If you have xp sp2 installed it needs to be incorporated into your xp disk or it will not offer the repair option only the clean install
i didn't quite understand this part...i do have a sp2 xp cd, and it's installed....but i can see no repair option =(

it goes straight to where i select which partition to install, then the choice of the file system (FAT or NTFS) and so on...

could it be the cd?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.