Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I currently have a 17" Samsung 173s. It's been a great monitor over the years, no dead pixels, and a decent size for gaming at my desk. However, my parents have recently bought a 40" Sony TV with a VGA in, and after hooking my PC up to that and playing some games, I definitely want to go bigger. I've also recently learned that my current samsung has a response time of 25ms which could explain why Halo doesn't look very smooth (though all my other games seem fine). I've heard anything under 8ms and you're great, so that's what I'd like to achieve.

Anyway, since the the internet cable connection is in my room, I was thinking of having the cable split into 2 signals, having one go into the modem for internet, and the other into either an HDTV tuner card > 20"+ widescreen monitor, OR directly into an LCD TV which has a VGA input, allowing it to double as a monitor... is splitting the cable connection and then using both outputs of it possible? In the past when I've played on the 40" screen (downstairs), I've also moved the modem down there and simply unplugged the coaxial cable for the TV signal and plugged it into the modem, so I know that works... I'm just not sure if splitting the signal and then using both signals simultaneously will be a problem or not, and since my entire plan hinges on this, I'd kinda like to be sure. ;) Does anyone know?

I'm kind of confused as to what option would be better (LCD TV w/ VGA input, or widescreen HDCP monitor with HDTV tuner card)? Can anyone advise on this? I originally thought the LCD TV route would be less of a hassle, but then I realized I wouldn't be able to get an HDTV signal without an HD cable box from Rogers, and that costs money every month which is disappointing. How are the HDTV tuners doing? I remember reading initially that they were very fussy and generally not worth the trouble.. has this changed? If I had an HDTV tuner card, would I also need an HD cable box from Rogers? If so than I'll likely go the LCD TV route. I've found what looks to be a decent 26" LG for about $800cdn which has a VGA input and 8ms response time.

Having an HD signal without the HD rogers box would be a real bonus... if it's not possible then I'd be alright with a standard TV signal for a while... and at least I'd be ready for HDTV when I'm more willing to pay for it.

I'm more excited about playing games on a bigger screen, and watching DVD's... currently when I go to bed watching a movie, it's less than optimal. All my DVD's are in 16:9 format, so I get the black bars on a 17" monitor with about 6-7 foot viewing distance (blah). I think the 26" LG would be a vast improvement here... but pretty much anything with a 16:9 format will be a dramatically more enjoyable, I'm sure.

What do you guys think? A lot of questions here, so let me try to sum up:

1) Is it possible to split a cable signal and use both outputs simultaneously?

2) What's the better route: an LCD TV w/ VGA input, or HDCP monitor w/ HDTV tuner card

3) When going with an HDTV tuner card, do you also need an HD cable box to get an HD signal?

4) Any recommendations? (LCD TV's or Widescreen Monitors/HDTV tuner cards)

I know I'm asking a lot here, so any input is greatly appreciated!
Thanks guys,

~okayplayer

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
1. yes u can get a splitter i have used them many times for this purpose they are cheap and small
2. go with the LCD TV route thats what im doing and buying myself a nice big LCD TV. i found a sharp with a 6ms reponse time.
3. dont go withthe HDTV cause when u have the output from ur computer and all the otherstuff itl be a PITA !
4. LCD TV's, Philips, LG, Toshiba those would be my favoritable manufacturers. if u have $$$ to spend look at sonys as well.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, Fr4665. I was hoping I'd get a few more comments on this, but oh well.

I went to Futureshop yesterday and took a look at the LG 26LC2R and it did look very nice. I asked one of the guys on the floor what could be done in the event of dead pixels, and he looked at me with a very confused look on his face. I had to explain the whole idea that TV's are made up of thousands of little pixels. It was pretty amazing.

Anyway, I told him my plan was to wait till boxing week for the price to drop even more. He replied that it's currently on sale for $799, down from $999 regular price, and that the sale ends Dec. 24th. So I'm not really sure what to do here...

It doesn't really make sense to me that the price would go back up at the end of the year... isn't the whole idea behind boxing week sales to get rid of old models and make space on the floor for the new stuff?

I suppose I could keep this TV in mind and, come boxing day, if it's not on sale for a reasonable price, go find another one that is... any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
well in store sales people dont know anything about what ever they sell.
have you shopped around the net and also other stores to see how much the LG is selling for in different places ?

i would assume the prices will drop in the first few weeks of january as stores will want to get writ of the last stuff but also remember that some stores already have 2007 items for sale now and the price will go up later. see what model the LG is.

I personally would wait !

·
Vetustior Humo
11,129 Posts
I was in BB this weekend and saw a Samsung 40" LCD playing a video game and it looked fantastic. It was being routed through the DVI feed. Price: $1600 - I don't know the response time.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the heads up, yustr!

40" is a little big for me... the TV would be going in my bedroom and ideally I'd like to be able to simply put it at the end of my desk (replacing my current monitor), which translates roughly into a 3.5 foot viewing distance... because of this close proximity I've decided the biggest I'd want is 26".

But now I'm getting the big disapproval from the parents (after they initially agreed to the proposition -- gotta love that) so it looks like a new TV/display won't be in the works until I move back out again... sigh.

Maybe it's for the best, but I'm having a hard time realizing it right now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Fr4665. I was hoping I'd get a few more comments on this, but oh well.

I went to Futureshop yesterday and took a look at the LG 26LC2R and it did look very nice. I asked one of the guys on the floor what could be done in the event of dead pixels, and he looked at me with a very confused look on his face. I had to explain the whole idea that TV's are made up of thousands of little pixels. It was pretty amazing.

Anyway, I told him my plan was to wait till boxing week for the price to drop even more. He replied that it's currently on sale for $799, down from $999 regular price, and that the sale ends Dec. 24th. So I'm not really sure what to do here...

It doesn't really make sense to me that the price would go back up at the end of the year... isn't the whole idea behind boxing week sales to get rid of old models and make space on the floor for the new stuff?

I suppose I could keep this TV in mind and, come boxing day, if it's not on sale for a reasonable price, go find another one that is... any thoughts?

Last year we setup a Halo II tournament league in our Game store. Went to Best Buy and the sales guy was a gamer who sounded like he knew what he was talking about and we bought Toshiba 52 in. DLP High Def TV s. Way awesome quality with DLP,"secret is the mirrors".... DVD s were super incredible, better than LCD in my limited view. But you gotta do what you gotta do, the thing is, u r right, bigger is much better. Currently not doing Halo II tournaments at this point, no one liked losing in public. Closet online gamers, kings of their own Universe, I can dig it, but it was a great experience at 52 inches we had two Toshibas back to back 8 players, four on a team. It was interesting good luck with your set up, you are on the right track, bigger is better in TVs. Time Warner gives their HD boxes out for free here, if you have digital cable, never heard of Rogers, good luck !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Last year we setup a Halo II tournament league in our Game store. Went to Best Buy and the sales guy was a gamer who sounded like he knew what he was talking about and we bought Toshiba 52 in. DLP High Def TV s. Way awesome quality with DLP,"secret is the mirrors".... DVD s were super incredible, better than LCD in my limited view. But you gotta do what you gotta do, the thing is, u r right, bigger is much better. Currently not doing Halo II tournaments at this point, no one liked losing in public. Closet online gamers, kings of their own Universe, I can dig it, but it was a great experience at 52 inches we had two Toshibas back to back 8 players, four on a team. It was interesting good luck with your set up, you are on the right track, bigger is better in TVs. Time Warner gives their HD boxes out for free here, if you have digital cable, never heard of Rogers, good luck !!!!!!!!
Very nice...52" would be incredible. I have a fantastic time on the 40" Sony we have in our living room (when I can get my hands on it), so trying to imagine that plus another foot of viewable screen is crazy.

Never really considered DLP's because they only seem to be available at very large sizes, and all the ones I've seen lack a VGA/DVI input, and I refuse to hook my PC up with anything less.

I've been saving up and am starting to build a decent bankroll so I'm generally looking at 32" LCD's now. This complicates things as 32" is way too big for desktop use and I'd be hard pressed to come up with a comfortable way to use it as a PC monitor...but like you said, bigger is definitely better.
I'd have no problems getting extension cables for my mouse/keyboard, and I have a very comfortable chair...but then where do I put the keyboard/mouse?

·
Registered
19 Posts
DLP cleaner

Very nice...52" would be incredible. I have a fantastic time on the 40" Sony we have in our living room (when I can get my hands on it), so trying to imagine that plus another foot of viewable screen is crazy.

Never really considered DLP's because they only seem to be available at very large sizes, and all the ones I've seen lack a VGA/DVI input, and I refuse to hook my PC up with anything less.

I've been saving up and am starting to build a decent bankroll so I'm generally looking at 32" LCD's now. This complicates things as 32" is way too big for desktop use and I'd be hard pressed to come up with a comfortable way to use it as a PC monitor...but like you said, bigger is definitely better.
I'd have no problems getting extension cables for my mouse/keyboard, and I have a very comfortable chair...but then where do I put the keyboard/mouse?

You are probably right, I did not think about the PC hook up, we used the xbox going thru a filter/cleaner box from Belkin called PURE/AV Home Theater Power Protection with PureFilter(tm) Technology. It has all kinds on connection plugs that go from the digital Cable feed thru the Filter and likewise for the Xbox system. You would have to ask if it would take your PC hook up, it might, but I just sign the checks and the sales guy is a gamer using the same system, probably why he is the sales guy. But I am considering going with Time Warner's Fast access Road Runner service and if I do I am going to ask if we can hook the PC up thru the Toshiba. We have to use HD cables to run the Xbox system thru now. I will say this that it drove my son crazy trying to hook it up after we moved it from the store to the house. Took about three days, well he just would get angry at it and lay it down. Finally he got it, although if you dont have the HD box it wont be clear. But when we run a DVD thru the Xbox HD cables it is the best picture I have ever seen. If we continue with online gaming, my son and I, I think it will be important to know the end result experience of the gamer. It is all about the gamer, I know you would agree. Good luck you will get it.:wave:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.