Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I have a couple of hard drives on my computer that are partitioned. Today I tried to format my :D drive with Partition magic 8. All was going well as it had done once before and when xp went to reboot it just stops before any hard drive activity. Now I have had to load windows on to my other hard drive to get back on to the net and look at what has happend

In Partition magic C: drive appears to be fine but I can only access D: of the drive( C: is unaccessable) I really need to some how fix the boot area or get the files of that partition some how.
Is there a way of getting into the drive. I dontminde whiping the whole drive but I need to get the stuff of it
Any help would be great

thanks in advance

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no no

I was only formating the D drive Iwas leaving the C drive alone. Its the C drive that has gone nuts for no reason I can access d drive now though. any ideas how to get the info off it??

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
If you were formatting the D: drive, but the data is still there, but missing from the C: drive, my guess is you formatted the wrong drive!

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Geoffyboy, welcome to the forums !!!
Have you tried to boot to dos ? (from a bootable floppy) see if you can navigate trough the C: drive that way...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all
D drive is blank and fine but C drive says in partition magic that there is 9 gb used of 19 gb but I cannot get into it ( I am certain that I did nothing to C drive . Dos cannot get into it either
If I try to get into the drive it says that it maybe locked or not formated (P magic says its fine)
I don't know I a really stuffed. I there any way to fix it without formating it all???
Thanks again

S

·
0 Posts
First remove the second drive.
Does the message say that the system is locked or that the drive is locked? You can unlock a drive by booting from the startup disk and then key this in at the A: prompt: unlock <drive letter>: and press ENTER key

For instance, if it's C drive that's locked, at the A: prompt you would key in: unlock C: and press ENTER key

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I found the problem.
When I was using Partition Magic, it screwed up and did something to the information on C drive to tell windows that it was properly formated.(Partition table or something) I used a program called Easyrecovery Pro and got all the info of that I needed. It said it could not see what the drive was formated as (fat, fat 32 or NFTS)
Great program, it can even read files from a formated drive.

So this can be a warning to anyone who may want to use a program to format any disk on their computers. They can malfunction and screw up everything

I think I will back up more often now :rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies guys, Now Im off to reload all my stuff

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
The odd thing here is that I've used PM many times to alter and format partitions on running systems, and it's never ate a partition that I didn't point it at. My only failures with PM have been converting a 100gig FAT32 parttion to NTFS managed to scramble most of the data. I restored it from backups onto the newly created NTFS volume. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.