Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's my situation. First of all, this is my first post, so I would like to say hi to everyone. Anyways, I have been trying to help a friend get BF2 to work on his computer, and have had no luck at all. When you start the BF2 game, the loading screen comes up, then the whole monito goes black. Then, the just goes back to Windows, without even reaching the EA Games intro screen. These are his system specs: His computer is an HP Pavilion Laptop, with a Pentium 4 processor running at 3.6 ghz. He has a Portable Radeon 9100, with up-to date video drivers. This brand new machine also has 1 gig of RAM. From everything I see, this computer is 100% over-kill for BF2's minimum requirements. Please help me help my friend. You guys may be our only hope!
-Sincereley
-Daywalker

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
sry to tell you this but my buddies and me have given up on trying to run it on a mobile 9100. BF2 just wont support it with anything we try to do. BF2 just has major problems with shaders and thats bad :deveous: so thers no way to fix this but to play it on a better machine

sry :(

PS: we got it working on a 9200 on a desktop with the newest drivers and the AGP speed cranked down to x4 and that works but for laptops no way

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a whole bunch. At least I know the source of the problem now. There's a whole story I can tell you about my long quest to get BF2 to work on my desktop. After a brand new GeForce 6800 Ultra, and a new computer power supply, I finally got it to work. However, I still have to run it on the lowest settings. This is my second question to you all out there. My computer has a Pentium 4 processor running at 3.6 ghz. 512 MB of RAM, and a Nvidia 6800 Ultra. Why in God's name do I have to run BF2 on all lowest settings to avoid lag?? I thought that these system requirements would be sufficient to run the settings on medium at least, ecspecially the brand spanking new 6800 Ultra. Thanks again.
-Daywalker

·
Banned
31 Posts
Your sizzling, spanking new system does, in fact, sound powerful enough to run the game at medium settings. Everything sounds super-duper powerful... except for the memory, that is. :4-thatsba 512 MB of RAM just isn't enough these days. BF2 is said to often use more than 1 GB of RAM, so it's probably using tons of slow virtual memory (which is memory that runs from your hdd). I recommend that you buy another 512 stick of RAM. If you motherboard supports dual-channel memory, you should look for precisely the same model that you have now, so that it will go dual-channal. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
I got a Athlon XP 3000+ with 1gb of ram and a x800XL and im running settings on medium/high so get more ram. I checked exactly how much ram the bf2 is using and its like 564 or something when i was playing some insane crazy high number.

I put 2gb of dual channel ram in my friends computer and damn hes rocking lol

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man I love this forum, you get answers fast, and they are well thought over too (I hope). Well, that's it, you've all convinced me to buy 2 more 512 MB sticks. I think Im gonna take one of the 256 MB sticks out of my good machine, and put it in my older 2400 upstairs (then that 2400 will have 512 MB) Thanks ya'll!
PS: Is 1256 MB enough RAM? (1 GB and 256 MB)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Urrrrgggg RAM is so expensive..... even though my video card was more, this memory seems so money hungry.

·
Registered
282 Posts
before buying anything make sure it is compatible with your system. The link above is for DDR2 RAM make sure your system supports that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.