Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make my video better so when I watch movies on my computer it looks more like I'm watching a tv. If I get a video card would a 32mb be good enough? Also could my monitor have anything to do with the quality of picture?

S

·
0 Posts
Hello lucky_84057 and welcome to Tech Support Forums

Could you list what is in your system as this will help in answering your question.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sony vaio: 200mhz w/mmx, 64mb ram, 2 mb edo video ram, and under grafics it says 3-d acceleration. I hope this helps.

S

·
0 Posts
It would in my opinion be a bad idea to try and upgrade the video card in that system.

First it woudn't really give you what you are looking for.

Second if you use any type of restore disk that comes with your machine there will be all kinds of issues if you have to use it.

If you are happy with everything else your money would be better off going into the bank and start saving for a new system.

I'm not trying to be mean, Just truthful..:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can I get better grafics

I have another computer that is a 400mhz celeron, 32mb nvidia geforce2 mx video card, 192 mb ram. but sometimes when I watch movies on my computer that grafics are not that great. I would like it to look like I'm watching tv. If I got a better video card would that really help. What brand should I get and which one.

·
hey
10,189 Posts
I don't think it will ever be TV quality. But if you want to upgrade your video I would recomend ATI products. I have a 1.2 Athlon with 256 megs memory and a 64meg video card on a 17 inch monitor and I still think DVDS look better on my TV then on my computer.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Quote:
"400mhz celeron, 32mb nvidia geforce2 mx "
Lucky, you would be "Luckier" if you had at least a P3550 for what you are looking for. The "MX" is a light version of the popular nvidia cards- your best bet is to try detonator3 drivers if you are 98 or ME, and detonatorXP(4) drivers if you are win2k or xp. I have a cele 400 that runs at 580 without extra cooling, you need pc100 sdram to try it- bump the fsb to 96 if your mobo will.
What mobo do you have the celeron on?

·
Registered
19 Posts
For good image and video quality, go for either ATI or Matrox cards... but be aware that it will never look like on the TV because the computer screen has a much sharper and clearer image.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
You video card might not be your only problem, just like with TVs you want the best resolution possible, as well as a LOW dot pitch, if not trinitron.... while I'm not lucky enough to own a trinitron.. I have some friends who spent the ungodly amount of cash to buy a 21" trinitron, and WOW!!!!! the thing is a TV! Speaking of which if your card has a capture feature, it may be cheaper to just buy a TV with aud/vid jacks and us that as your monitor..... once again friends of mine have atellite TV/internet , and they have it all in the same room with their flatscreen TV, as their monitor too.... and let me tell you if your going to LAN at their house just attach a mirror to your comp and you can see what they are doing...LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.