Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now, I have 4 x 200GB Maxtors striped with a 50GB partition for my System drive (C drive). It loads (from post) in less the 30 seconds. Fast for me.

But, I notice, a lot of people have a raptor for their boot drive. Would this be faster? Is it worth getting, say a 36g raptor for that purpose?

Also, can someone explain this to me...

I have been told that by making a partition just for your boot drive, you can install all other programs on other partitions and when you need to reinstall windows, you dont have to redo everything. Just the C drive. How do you do this? I have ALWAYS reinstalled windows by doing a fresh install. Backing up all important files (my docs) and just starting over from scratch. I do this every few months, but it's a pain in the butt cause I have to reinstall all of my games and other programs. Service pack2, etc...

Is there a way to shorten this process by just reinstalling windows on the C drive but keeping all of the other programs safe on the other drives? If so, how do you know if windows points to all of the programs correctly still? All of the shortcuts in the Start menu wont be there anymore right? Can someone enlighten me on this? Thank you!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
mrmag2000 said:
Right now, I have 4 x 200GB Maxtors striped with a 50GB partition for my System drive (C drive). It loads (from post) in less the 30 seconds. Fast for me.

But, I notice, a lot of people have a raptor for their boot drive. Would this be faster? Is it worth getting, say a 36g raptor for that purpose?

Also, can someone explain this to me...

I have been told that by making a partition just for your boot drive, you can install all other programs on other partitions and when you need to reinstall windows, you dont have to redo everything. Just the C drive. How do you do this? I have ALWAYS reinstalled windows by doing a fresh install. Backing up all important files (my docs) and just starting over from scratch. I do this every few months, but it's a pain in the butt cause I have to reinstall all of my games and other programs. Service pack2, etc...

Is there a way to shorten this process by just reinstalling windows on the C drive but keeping all of the other programs safe on the other drives? If so, how do you know if windows points to all of the programs correctly still? All of the shortcuts in the Start menu wont be there anymore right? Can someone enlighten me on this? Thank you!
Sure get an external or IDE drive that will hold your basic set up after your clean install before you do any thing else use some thing like seagates disk wizard to make a bootable copy of your drive. and put it aside, when you want to reinstall, boot from it and again using disk wizard to make a new bootable drive on te drive you select. (Hope this makes sense) :grin:
I have heard of using Ghost this way to.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
I keep most of my programs and all of my documents on separate IDE and SATA drives. My OS resides on the 80GB drive and I install a few things there. Most of them problem is the registry because some programs make many additions and won't work witout them being there.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'd say get the Raptor because RAID 0 isnt really that impressive. RAID 0 is less reliable than single drive and increases the speed ever so slighty. Also, wouldnt you rather have 800gb of space? I know I would. Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jisc123 said:
Also, wouldnt you rather have 800gb of space? I know I would. Good luck!
Well then I wish I could have the best of both worlds!

Is there anyone that has a approx speed of how long it takes for a raptor to load windows? Like I said before, mine is 30 sec from the time you see the bios on the screen. I've seen the raptor time much lower but I'm not sure if they are timing from when they first see the windows loading screen some up. just curious.

·
Registered
55 Posts
oldmn said:
IMO thats a lot of money to spend for a few seconds. :4-dontkno
True, but if speed is important to him, getting a raptor will allow him to use his hdd space which isnt bad at all :)

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
jisc123 said:
I'd say get the Raptor because RAID 0 isnt really that impressive. RAID 0 is less reliable than single drive and increases the speed ever so slighty. Also, wouldnt you rather have 800gb of space? I know I would. Good luck!
I'm curious where you get your information. I have a RAID-0 array using two 250gig WD SATA drives. The data transfer rate using several disk benchmark utilities is about 160% of the transfer rate of a single drive on the same system. If 60% to you is "slightly", that would explain it, but it's significant to me. More importantly, real world performance of the disk subsystem has significantly increased over using the drives independently. :4-dontkno

I agree that the absolute reliability of a RAID-0 array is not as good as redundant schemes, that's where good backup comes in.

·
Registered
55 Posts
johnwill said:
I'm curious where you get your information. I have a RAID-0 array using two 250gig WD SATA drives.
I agree that the absolute reliability of a RAID-0 array is not as good as redundant schemes, that's where good backup comes in.
Maybe the way I was exaggerating a bit. I'm not saying that RAID 0 is bad, but if you're using 4 drives, I'd go with RAID0+1.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
The difference between RAID-0 and RAID-0+1 would be 50% of the capacity and lower disk performance.

This really boils down to what you're trying to accomplish. If it's all about speed, and you have proper backups so that absolute reliability isn't an issue, straight RAID-0 is the way to go. OTOH, if you want better speed than a single drive, but you need better availability, then the RAID-0+1 would make more sense.

One thing I have to mention whenever we start talking about RAID and relability, RAID is NOT backup. No matter what RAID level you run, or how "reliable" it is, you still need proper backups of the data.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.