Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:4-dontkno Best To Zero, Reformat, and clean Install Everything? Post clean install.... Why is it so much trouble to fix something on Microsoft Windows? Trying to get in contact with computer companies, such as Dell, after the warranty is out plus it is also too darn expensive. There is no way just to email them for help. No warranty, no help. Too bad so sad. Is there anyone else seeing the dilemma here? All is well with this great working Dell computer. No hardware problems. Only software bugs, problems and glitches. The Help and Support Center page is a lot slower to open than just having only the Windows XP OS installed. After installing the updates and .Net Framework that page, H&S Center, slowed down. At one point HS would not open at all. And if there is a question of Safe Mode usage and System Restore done the answer is yes. Tried all of that many, many, many times. Everything needed to surf is back on such as Java, Adobe and Flash Player. Only need Real Player now since some web sites require it. Anything left anything out? And what is making an image? Someone suggested it and doing it would help. Well this is just great. A technician from MS asked me for a PID #. He stated if it is OEM that MS could not help. So OEM as it is called, translates to NO help from Microsoft either? Plus I cannot email Dell without a warranty. This is so, so bad. Used all the advice. Used all sorts of cleaners. Numerous command lines ran. Virus, spyware and diagnostic tests. Used online diagnostics and virus scan cleaners such as Trend Houscall, Bitdefender and F-Secure. Checked all the drivers. All of these things done over and over and over. Rewrote the registry even to chagrin. Final approach was? You guessed it. Complete zeroing of the hard drive. Reinstalled everything. It took less time to do that than it did to try all other troubleshooting tips and advice. Would not recommend doing this without a fast internet connection. It was most unfortunate ending up doing something so drastic. There should be a way to see what files are there and why they are growing. Hopefully with Vista there is a better way of being able to do more with the operating system. One should be able to see all of those unknowns someway and somehow without having to install more expensive software to find the problem if indeed they do find and repair the problems. Troubleshooting needs to be clear whether it be a crash, warning, or a file that could be seen by the computer but the individual cannot find it. All codes should be outlined in some way. Disk cleanup files need to be accessible. Rewriting the registry should not be a choice unless something is missing of which should not happen in the first place. If something will not open up there needs to be a message letting one know how to open it up. And what is with this "you need to insert the OS CD" message now and then? That is so not the way a computer should run. Do files get lost, disappear or stolen? That should not happen either. There has got to be a better way of troubleshooting no matter what the problem is. These hide and seek games are nagging. Getting answers from Microsoft and other computer companies as Dell is way too expensive. Additional software is also expensive. At one point the defragmenter could not complete. One occasion system resore would not work even in SMode.. As of right now the only problem is the HS Center really slow opening up. After the .Net Framwork installed is when it really crawled down. .Net 1 aand 2 are installed as well as the SP. Only after these installs did the HS began to act up. Forums do help, but it takes a while to finally get an answer from someone that really knows how to help. Believe me when I say a Big Thank You to all answers. Everyone is trying so hard to help and it is a blessing there are those that know what to do. Thank you so very much for all the help

·
UK
1,142 Posts
lol ... I think you will find it's permanently engaged!

"Please hold, your call is valuable to us!"

"Press 1 to repair the installation"

"Press 2 to clean install"

"Press 3 to zero the drive"

"Press 4 to hear these options again"

·
UK
1,142 Posts
rlmarr has reposted - he wants some help with getting the Help and Support centre running at an acceptable speed.

I wasn't taking a rise out of his post - just trying to feedback that we are all in the same boat when it comes to frustration with operating systems.

·
Registered
428 Posts
rlmarr has reposted - he wants some help with getting the Help and Support centre running at an acceptable speed.

I wasn't taking a rise out of his post - just trying to feedback that we are all in the same boat when it comes to frustration with operating systems.
You're fine. I just have trouble reading unless there is punctuation and paragraph structure. :laugh:

·
UK
1,142 Posts
I see what you mean - I guess he wanted to get his frustration with Microsoft out and forgot the paragraph breaks.

There is always Linux, but then that's a whole new journey.

·
Registered
275 Posts
There is a way to check your system files which is often a far better way than a reformat/reinstall. You asked:

"And what is with this "you need to insert the OS CD" message now and then? That is so not the way a computer should run. Do files get lost, disappear or stolen? That should not happen either."

Well, this may be off topic, but insert an XP installation CD. Be sure it has SP1 or SP2 depending only on which you have. You can borrow one for this if your Dell CD lacks the I386 folder. That's the folder you need for this. In fact I always keep spare CDs with just the I386 folder on them, some for SP1 and some for SP2.

Now, click Start> Run, and then type SFC /scannow. Note the space after sfc but no other spaces. Hit enter.

SFC (system file checker) will compare all of your system files to those in the I386 folder on the CD, and if any of yours are corrupt it will replace them.

You get a dialogue box with a progress indicator, but when it's finished it just goes away. There is no confirmation, but it did its job.

This method corrects many XP errors and often avoids a wipe/reinstall.

BTW, while my writing is far from great, I too appreciate paragraphs to separate thoughts. I had a heck of a time parsing out all of that info.

Cheers!
JB mcse/mcsa, A+, Net+

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you Baker421. Since I have already done the wipe and reinstall I may not need to do this unless you think it would help the Help And Support Center page which is the problem right now. It is good to get a serious answer. Another also gave to same suggestion. I did this before I wiped everything off of the board. Unfortunately it did not correct the problem. What a mystery. All is fine now except the H& S page loading up. Any ideas???

·
Registered
428 Posts
Thank you Baker421. Since I have already done the wipe and reinstall I may not need to do this unless you think it would help the Help And Support Center page which is the problem right now. It is good to get a serious answer. Another also gave to same suggestion. I did this before I wiped everything off of the board. Unfortunately it did not correct the problem. What a mystery. All is fine now except the H& S page loading up. Any ideas???
Here is a serious answer
Try the script linked above. It should help with your Help and Support issue.
****Use at your own risk.****
I'm sorry if I offended you. If you want help, you need to be clear and concise in your descriptions of the problems. It looked to me like you were just ranting and really had nothing to say. Let me know if you try that script and if it works

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
gonna give it a shot

:pray: Hey DumbTerminal. I was not offended. In fact I found your comment very helpful and funny. Some folks tell me I do not put down enough information. Then when I do pet down a lot the swing goes in another direction. Thank you for the help. I will give your advice a try. And maybe I will find a middle of the road message to put down in the future. Live long and live strong.

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unfortunate Complete Clean

DumbTerminal. Plus I was not thrilled at all about the erasing thing either.:wave:

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Better posts in the future from me.. hopefully

DumbTerminal. When I originally made the post I was upset from having to erase the HDD. In the past some of the replies told me I did not put enough information on the posts. So I thought I would try to cover as much ground as I could for a clear picture of the problem. Well I think I went overboard and therefore probably bored the tears out of the readers. So I will try to find a middle of the road. I’m still not too good at posting. :smile:

·
Registered
428 Posts
DumbTerminal. When I originally made the post I was upset from having to erase the HDD. In the past some of the replies told me I did not put enough information on the posts. So I thought I would try to cover as much ground as I could for a clear picture of the problem. Well I think I went overboard and therefore probably bored the tears out of the readers. So I will try to find a middle of the road. I’m still not too good at posting. :smile:
I see, you were saying you were frustrated at having to reformat the drive.
Just a hint, you're doing fine with info, but paragraph structure helps. Not being nitpicky, but it's just hard to read.
Did you run that script yet, and did it help?

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
petercj

Petercj I apologize for not running the scan as you suggested. I got it confused with scandsk. I am doing the scan right now. The gray window through me when it asked for a WXP professional cd instead of home edition. I hope this helps. The computer is zinging at full speed ahead right now. :eek:

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DumbTerminal.. I have not ran the file yet. When a download box opened up it sort of took me back a step. I am running the scan petercj suggested right now. Will the download you sent me be safe? If so I will install it when this scan is over with. Thanku

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is so wonderful getting help at least and at last. All I have got from the emails and phone call attempts were pay up if you want an answer.

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OMG Free At Last...

DumbTerminal I was having the same problem with HSC on my wifes computer. Your suggestion worked. It told me the damage had been done by EasyCleaner. I have used cleaners but I do not recall using that one as of yet. So far it did work on my wife’s computer. Thank u very, very much:pray:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.