Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive just bought a bran' spankin' new 80 gig HD:D, and i read the properties of the disk, and it only displays 30 gig, maybe ive accidently created a partition, if so whats the best software to create/remove these partitions.....:confused: :confused:

S

·
0 Posts
Hello Antone and welcome to the forums................:D

Could you give us a list of your hardware.
If your motherboard is to old it may not recognize the full size of the drive.
And what OS are you going to install on this hard drive.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Machines from earlier than sometime in 1999 only recognize 32gigs of disk in the BIOS. You'll need a BIOS update or a 3rd party partitioning utility to utilize the full capacity of the drive. I STRONGLY recommend the BIOS upgrade or perhaps even a MB upgrade, NOT the partitioning utility.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, im running windows xp professional and my system specs are:
AMD Athlon 1.3Ghz
512 SDRAM
GeForce 2 MX 200 32mg
MSI 6330 Lite Motherboard
and my other HDD which is a Western Digital 40gig :winkgrin:

S

·
0 Posts
The Windows XP CD will give you the option of deleting the existing partition and creating a new one during the install, That is if your going to use this drive as a master.

What brand of hard drive is the 80 gig and are you going to use it as the master drive or as a secondary hard drive.

If your bios recognizes the full size of your 40 gig drive there should be no problem with your 80 gig.

This could also be of interest to you. Partitioning

Also are you using NTFS or FAT32

·
Registered
283 Posts
If you are just looking to get a good partition software I would really consider getting the latest version of Partition Magic. I believe it's at 7.0 or higher. It's great if you want to delete/create partion, create primary/extend partition and so on. It is very user friendly and it should be helpful if you want to create partitions on your 80g harddrive.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Well, the "partitioning software" that he was looking for was really to allow an older BIOS to recognize a large IDE drive, so PM wouldn't help. Also, PM8 is out, but it's about $80, so unless you need it, it seems silly to spend the money...

·
Registered
283 Posts
Whats wrong with his BIOS? If he could see his 40g drive fine there should be no problem seeing his 80g. I thought he just wanted a partitioning software.:confused:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 80gig Hard Drive is Maxtor, and its set as the master, my filling system is NTFS...:winkgrin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.