Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:smooch: Hello All, I want to ask ur opinions about wahat is the best (compatible) software for partitioning and defragmenting RAID system.

Currently I have RAID-O (Stripe) system with 2 MAxtor 120GB SATA running on Windows XP Pro SP2. Motherboard ASUS P4P800.

Also, I Want to ask, is that partitioning RAID system makes them slower ?

Thanx for the opinions... Hail Techsupportforum.com !!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I usually think it is unessisary to 'buy' a partitioning and/or defragmenting programs.
Defragmenting a drive is way overdone these days. Especially with the larger hard drives. It used to be, back in the Win9x days that defragging the drive would improve system performance. Because of the size of the drive and speed of the system, every little bit counted. I think that Defragmenting a drive is totally unesissary on the frequency that people do it. I would probably do it maybe every 6 months. This depending on how much the drive gets witten to. Windows has a defragmenting program built in. By some people standards, it isn't good enough, but I have never had any problems with it.
As far as partitioning goes, I usually set my OS partition size during the WinXP install. Usually around 30GB. This gives me room for my OS and apps. You can create more partitions after the OS is up.
On a RAID 0 array I find it totally unessisary to partition the drive because I would never leave critical data on the array.

Best rule if you want to run a RAID 0 array. Use small drives (WD Raptor 36GB are ideal because of the speed and the size) and only keep the OS and apps on the array.
Have a separate drive for data storage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now i'am clearly understand.. thanx for ur suggestions.. :grin: :grin:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.