Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a modem/router combo unit provided by my ISP (Xfinity), it's an ARRIS DOCSIS 3.0 Residential Gateway with 802.11n GigaPort Router and am going to buy a separate router, likely a LINKSYS AC1900 MU-MIMO Gigabit or similar AC router with 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz, (Perhaps a Nighthawk, etc.) My combo unit only has 2.4Ghz. Anyhow, my question mainly is this . . . would I have the best performance by simply hooking up my new router to my old modem/router combo unit and broadcasting a separate SSID, or should I physically turn off the router functionality on my modem/router combo unit first and use the new router as my only router? Or would the difference be negligible, either way? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Team Manager - Networking
8,370 Posts
what are you doing that you feel you need to change the router
whats the speed of the internet you currently have available
are you doing a lot of inter network copying or streaming from NAS or media server
is the 2.4Ghz network very busy ? and you need 5Ghz to avoid interference?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I currently have a plan alloted for 150Mbps, I am getting less than 20Mbps, I stream multiple 4K HD video via Netflix and a few other high-bandwidth applications.

·
Moderator TSF, Hardware Team Moderator
5,369 Posts
Is your internet plan a new one or have you been using it for a while and it's only recently that you started experiencing lower speeds than what you were getting initially?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had this 150 MBps plan for a few years, but only started streaming high-bandwidth applications for a few weeks, so speed was never an issue, but I set up a new AC router, disabling the router functionality on my combo unit last night and I'm getting close to 100 MBps on the 5Ghz channel and over 70 on the 2.4Ghz, so problem solved!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.