Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new PC about 5 months ago, a top range media computer. For about a month I played on games and did stuff without any problems, I then installed a new Nvidia driver which basically, crapped up everything. All games took about 3-4 minutes to load unless they ran off the source or HavoK engine.

I have an 8800 GT - Which driver is the best for Vista 32bit?

Thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I don't think that will work, I tried fully uninstalling all the drivers at one point and then putting a new one back. But i'll try it anyway.

EDIT : It's taking a while to do, but i've had other drivers installed so i doubt it'll work.

What drivers do other people use on 8800 GT's and it runs fine?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm, I don't think it is the drivers now, i installed an old one but i still get the same problem - apparently vista conflicts with the game and so it takes a long time to launch, any solutions?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Just the one game, or all your games as stated in your original post?

If it's all games................download this free Driver Cleaner.....
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745

Uninstall your drivers from Programs and Features; restart in safe mode, (pressing F8 at start-up).......run Driver Cleaner, and select the nVidia filter (and the ATI filter if you've ever had an ATI Video Card on the PC). It will remove all video drivers so there are no conflicts.

Restart and Press F8 again, but this time select Start in Low-Resolution Mode, (VGA mode).
After it has started up, install your original drivers and restart.

Also, always wise to read the instructions for new progs, so have a look at the Driver Cleaner instructions.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just the one game, or all your games as stated in your original post?

If it's all games................download this free Driver Cleaner.....
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745

Uninstall your drivers from Programs and Features; restart in safe mode, (pressing F8 at start-up).......run Driver Cleaner, and select the nVidia filter (and the ATI filter if you've ever had an ATI Video Card on the PC). It will remove all video drivers so there are no conflicts.

Restart and Press F8 again, but this time select Start in Low-Resolution Mode, (VGA mode).
After it has started up, install your original drivers and restart.

Also, always wise to read the instructions for new progs, so have a look at the Driver Cleaner instructions.

It's pretty much every single game, alot of other people with vista have the problem, it happens with Call of Duty 2, Rome total war, crysis, battlefield 2 and pretty much every other game I have except for a few running off steam

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I'm not sure about Vista being the culprit, seeing as this happened only after updating nVidia drivers.
I really think you should use Driver Cleaner and then reinstall your original drivers.
I'd also advise a Windows Update to Vista SP1.

As for Vista and gaming, many Games now have Vista patches and hotfixes available from their repective sites.
Have a look here.....
http://haveapc.wordpress.com/2008/05/11/vista-compatible-games/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.