Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I've just installed a belkin (f5d72314) wireless router. I have problems which I hope you can help me solve.
Often when I start the computer i have difficulties in connecting to the Internet. It seems like I have connection with the router but its waiting for an adress...
When I restart the router everything is ok for about 30 min to 1h then I lose the connection and it seems like the router forgot the Ip adress or something. Another thing is that the speed is slower than expected. I should have 8 mbit/s recieving and 1 mbit/s sending but with the router connected i get only about 3-4 mbit/s recieving and about 300 sending.

I think this is a common problem after reading others posts

Sometimes its hard to get it work even if I restart the router. What do you need to know to help me with my problem

I have a Dell dimension 8200 computer with WinXP installed. The wireless network card is a belkin 7001XXX.

Regards

Rikard

·
Citizen of the world
51,047 Posts
How are the network speeds if you use a wired connection to the router? You may have a wireless interference issue. You may also have a freeloader using your Internet connection if you haven't enabled encryption on the router. :smile:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
when i connect the cable directly from modem everything is as expected.

The problems appear only when the router is connected. I have encrypted the router and i do not broadcast my ssid, firewall is enabled.
Yesterday i tried to switch from turbomode (125mbit/s) to 54g only, I really can't say but i think the network were more stable. On the other hand I had difficulties connecting to the Internet.

I will try to find update firmware for both router and card.

Can you advise me how to configure the network properly. Can I do something with Ip-adresses, Dhcp and other settings that can improve the network.

//Rikard

·
Citizen of the world
51,047 Posts
Well, I always recommend turning off all the "turbo" functions and running plain Jane 802.11b/g. Most of the speed-up options are 90% marketing hype and 10% problems as far as I'm concerned. What happens if you enable SSID, since that's not a real security issue anyway. As a test, disable encryption and see if that changes the symptoms.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.