Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, just looking for some fast friendly advice.

Recently my onboard wireless card ceased to function and as such i was forced to find a replacement. My motherboard is M2N32-SLi which had a Realtek 8187 chipset wireless card. After it stopped working i purchased a Belkin F5D7001uk (version 2002, G+) specifically Belkin as i thought it would work better with my 'dodgy' router which also had frequent problems. The router itself is a Belkin F5D8633-4 version 1000 (N Mimo).

After installation of my new card my network appeared fine with a 'Good' signal rating. When attempting to connect to the network however it keeps saying unable to connect. I'm running Vista 32-Bit and have disabled, uninstalled and removed the on board wireless card to no avail.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as Belkin's site says it should work on vista and their tech support leaves something to be desired.

Thanks in advance

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,027 Posts
I'd say the top suspect is mismatched encryption keys or MAC filtering enabled on the router. Try disabling all encryption and MAC filtering on the router and see if you connect that way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response and advice.

Unfortunately tried disabling the MAC address filtering and that did not work, also previously tried using no form of encryption and WEP as I usually use WPA2.

Encryption key is definitely correct as i've had to input it in on the card that works as well which I am using right now and entered the same on the one that doesn't.

Thanks again, any other advice would be really helpful!

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,027 Posts
Remember, for WEP, some devices interpret passphrases differently, so you should only use HEX keys for WEP.

If you disable all MAC filtering and encryption, what are the exact indications when you try to connect?

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,027 Posts
Remember, for WEP, some devices interpret passphrases differently, so you should only use HEX keys for WEP.

If you disable all MAC filtering and encryption, what are the exact indications when you try to connect?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tried without encryption and no MAC filtering and still get same this 'Windows cannot connect to this network'.

Also don't think its a Vista related problem as i tried the wireless card in another computer running XP and still it would not connect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.