Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Moderator, Automotive Team
13,264 Posts
I'm running my Daokta 6 years on a 48 month battery, it had the battery in it when I got it and I simply haven't replaced it yet because it hasn't died yet, h9owever I have put 5 sets of terminal on it due to corrosion

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
30,000 Posts
I replace at 5 years because I don't like getting stuck at inopportune times. The terminal can be treated with a special gel or even silicone spray to prevent corrosion. There are also felt like discs that go at the bottom of the post for the same reason. In any case a wire brush occasionally is a good idea. In 1965 I had a new Mercedes when most Americans didn't even kow what they were. At the dealer's Service Dept. during a routine oil change, I saw they had taken the battery out and done a thorough cleaning. When I mentioned this to The G.M., he said those Germans (he actually used a different word beginning with a "K") are all crazy.

·
Moderator, Automotive Team
13,264 Posts
I replace at 5 years because I don't like getting stuck at inopportune times. The terminal can be treated with a special gel or even silicone spray to prevent corrosion. There are also felt like discs that go at the bottom of the post for the same reason. In any case a wire brush occasionally is a good idea. In 1965 I had a new Mercedes when most Americans didn't even kow what they were. At the dealer's Service Dept. during a routine oil change, I saw they had taken the battery out and done a thorough cleaning. When I mentioned this to The G.M., he said those Germans (he actually used a different word beginning with a "K") are all crazy.
personally I liek to use axle grease myself, works better than the paint in the can they call protectant , and I can clean it off and replace it whenever I want

1 - 5 of 5 Posts