Tech Support banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really sure where to go with this, but I'll start here.
I inherited an ROG G74S from son-in-law.

I had to rebuild the OS due to his poor maintenance and poor antimalware habits.

I replaced the DVD player, Power supply and battery.
I upgraded the OS from Win 7 to Win10.

The battery will not recharge. It is sitting at 1%, and when I power up, as soon as I log in, and Win10 gets gets settled, I can see the battery indicator shows it is charging, but after about 30-40 seconds, it stops. After a matter of weeks of being powered up, it will eventually change to indicate 2% charge. and, I can run the LT off battery for 15-20 minutes, before it whines and shuts down.
So, the charger seems to actually function, but only for that part of a minute each time I boot up.
Something turns the charger off, it seems.

Any suggestions?

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,992 Posts
Sounds like the battery is shot. If you don't need it as a laptop, just continue running from power source. If you bought an under $20 charger/PS then that's the problem.

·
Premium Member
41,923 Posts
Remove the battery from the motherboard and run the computer off of the power adapter. If that works, the battery needs to be replaced. You can purchase a new battery on Ebay.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply, but really, I think that I covered the obvious before coming here.
I am sorry that I did not make this more clear:-
from OP - "I replaced the DVD player, Power supply and battery."

Not only did I replace the battery, but I bought two at the time, and see the same behavior with both the new batteries.

I followed the instructions from ASUS and put batteries in, and ran the machine without P/S, until battery level was down to less than 5% then plugged in P/S.
After that, this is the situation I am in.

Now, I've purchased a third battery but have yet to install it in the machine.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,992 Posts
In Post #2 I mentioned the Charger. If the new batteries came with one, then the actual slot it plugs into is damaged or between it an the MOBO or the voltage to the MOBO is wrong (16-19V). Multi-meter needed to test it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In Post #2 I mentioned the Charger. If the new batteries came with one, then the actual slot it plugs into is damaged or between it an the MOBO or the voltage to the MOBO is wrong (16-19V). Multi-meter needed to test it.
Thank you.
For the record, the P/S and batteries were purchased from ASUS.
For clarification, though. When I received the P/S and batteries. I first verified that the Unit functioned with the new P/S.
Then powered down, removed P/S, replaced old battery, inserted new battery and followed instructions to let battery discharge to 2% cap.
Then re-introduced P/S.
Repeated with second battery.
Same thing.
It now occurs to me that the charging system may have been failing at the beginning of this adventure.
I am not sure how practical it is going to be to try and repair the thing. As old as it is, I may be wasting time and money. I've built and repaired Desktops, but digging into laptops has not really intrigued me much.

·
Premium Member
41,923 Posts
Make sure you have purchased an OEM Power Adapter from the Manufacturer and not a Generic one. Most laptops have a sensor that senses if it is the correct power adapter or not. If it is not, it will power the computer but not recharge the battery. If using the correct power adapter and battery, and still not charging then it's probably not worth fixing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Look carefully at the power supply and the computer. Somewhere near the connector on the computer for power and on the data information for the power supply will be a small diagram with a dot in the center and usually a backwards "C" around the dot. Some devices will have different voltages like 12, 16, or 18 volts and the voltage may be indicated as being the "dot" in the center of the backwards "C" OR the "C" itself could be identified as having the voltage on IT instead of on the dot in the center. The backwards "C" indicates the outer conductor on the Power Supply connector. The dot represents the pin or hole in the center of the power connector. Sometimes the voltage is on the center pin and the "C" is ground, and other times the voltage is on the "C" and the center pin (dot) is ground. If Asus sent you a power supply for a different model by a mixup, you may not be applying voltage to the computer correctly with the new power supply. That would certainly stop the computer from charging even if you have the correct battery. Another possibility is that you've had something fail in the recharging circuit. At this point, I don't think a 3rd battery is going to be any help. Another possibility is that the pin in the power connector is too small for the hole in the power supply connector so there is no connection unless the power supply connector is a little ****-eyed in the socket so the center pin touches momentarily. This could all be an honest mistake on Asus' part, perhaps stocking the wrong power supply for the model you have.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Look carefully at the power supply and the computer. Somewhere near the connector on the computer for power and on the data information for the power supply will be a small diagram with a dot in the center and usually a backwards "C" around the dot. Some devices will have different voltages like 12, 16, or 18 volts and the voltage may be indicated as being the "dot" in the center of the backwards "C" OR the "C" itself could be identified as having the voltage on IT instead of on the dot in the center. The backwards "C" indicates the outer conductor on the Power Supply connector. The dot represents the pin or hole in the center of the power connector. Sometimes the voltage is on the center pin and the "C" is ground, and other times the voltage is on the "C" and the center pin (dot) is ground. If Asus sent you a power supply for a different model by a mixup, you may not be applying voltage to the computer correctly with the new power supply. That would certainly stop the computer from charging even if you have the correct battery. Another possibility is that you've had something fail in the recharging circuit. At this point, I don't think a 3rd battery is going to be any help. Another possibility is that the pin in the power connector is too small for the hole in the power supply connector so there is no connection unless the power supply connector is a little ****-eyed in the socket so the center pin touches momentarily. This could all be an honest mistake on Asus' part, perhaps stocking the wrong power supply for the model you have.
Well, I long ago confirmed that I have the correct P/S and correct batteries.

I am thinking that this is somehow more of a driver issue than hardware.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,253 Posts
To find out if it is a Windows driver or hardware problem, temporarily boot and run a different Operating System from a Live CD/USB:

A Live CD/DVD or USB flash drive contains a complete bootable computer operating system (OS). When you boot a computer from it, the OS loads into, and then runs from memory instead of a hard drive. This allows you to run an OS without installing it or making any changes to a computer's current configuration.

To create one, download an ISO file containing the OS you want to use, (such as Ubuntu, Slax or Zorin), then use something like ISO Recorder to burn it to a CD/DVD or Rufus to burn to a USB flash drive/key.

Now boot your computer from this disc/key and your computer will be running that OS instead of the one on its hard drive.​

When you're done testing, (the battery/charging), simply reboot your PC from the hard drive/SSD like you do now.

If the problem persists even when running a different OS, then the issue is -- more than likely -- hardware related.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A sensor on most laptops senses whether or not the power adapter is the correct one. If it isn't, the CPU will be turned on, but the battery won't be charged. If you're using the correct power adapter and battery and it still won't charge, it's not worth fixing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts