Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Manager, The Conversation Pit/Analyst, Security Te
14,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are running WIN98SE. I have 3 different batch programs running in normal window mode. When I try to open a fourth, I get a gray box that says a general protection exception has occured. I click on details, and it says that the location is
FFFF:10000.
After this happens, my other programs flash and I get the same message, except for the location is either 0028:01CC or 0028:01BB.
Any thoughts?

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Each VM takes a certain amount of memory, it sounds like you're running out of memory and the DOS VM is crashing. Normally, it's a little more graceful, just tells you that you're out of memory. What do you have the swap file settings at? If it runs out of virtual memory, the crash is less graceful...

·
14,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Swap file settings are normal, and I have 128 memory. The proceessor is 900 mhz.

·
14,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I noticed that this problem only occured on computers that had Norton Anti-Virus installed. Once I turned off enable realtime protection, my programs wroked properly and I scheduled scans to run overnight to keep us protected............Sometimes you just get lucky.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Interesting, I wouldn't have thought that the AV would be an issue. Just shows you that with so many different interacting software packages, it's impossible to know what is doing what to who! :D:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.