Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I'm putting this up here because I've noticed almost everyone here posting troubleshooting issues here with little to no amplifing information. In order to correctly diagnose a problem every scrap of information reguarding it needs to be known, after all you wouldn't feel comfortable with a doctor diagnosing you with a brain tumor after looking at your toes would you?
Don't know where to find it or what will help folks narrow down what could be the problem?
Read on.......

Take note of what the error boxes say when they popup, they are important!

1st and best trick to troubleshooting ANY computer.
REBOOT!
Turn your computer all the way off, and leave it that way for at least 30 seconds, this will allow the RAM to lose whatever it was holding and give you a chance to take a break. This honestly fixes more problems I've herd of than anything short of a sledgehammer. :hit:

2nd thing to do.
Think.
What did you change last before this problem started? Was it something you downloaded? Something you installed? New Hardware? Anything?
Uninstall whatever it is and see if that fixes it, if so you've nailed the problem.

3rd thing to do.
Check device manager for anything that has a '!' on the icon, be sure to click on "view" and "show hidden devices" to see everything that could be going wrong.
If you see one, double click on it and see what Micro$oft has to say about it through their help and support section.

4th thing to do
Check event viewer, the godsend from Micro$oft. Click on the start button, then run, and type in "eventvwr" without the quotes. Event viewer will have three sections, appliacation, security, and system. Check all of them for errors (should be a red circle with a white "x" in it). Take note of them and what they say, also this is normaly where most of the errors your computer spits out show up.

Try, and look at, these things. You will thank yourself later.

:coffee:

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.