Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard that you could network several computers so they act like one more powerful computer. Is this possible, and if so, how do I go about it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would like to use desktop PCs to boost my laptop's speed. I mostly want to improve the performance of games. I was hoping that I could use my laptop normally, but it would use the desktop's equipment to improve performance. I am running windows 7 home and would like to continue using it. I'm sorry-I do not really know programming, and do not know how to describe what I want better. I read something about MPI, but it does not seen usable for everyday use-is that true?

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,320 Posts
That's not going to happen with standard software. Clustered computers require specially designed software to take advantage of the cluster.

Buy a faster computer. :smile:

·
Registered
372 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grid_computing

read it.what you want do is a great part and huge task.
each computer(ie. your muster node) must have 2 NIC.and Single Client Access name,properly configured DNS etc for just a RAC database of Oracle,where oracle use its own software (termed as a Rea; application cluster)to run different instance in different master node and sarve her to its client with a fast reflex.

my friend:

Distributed computing is still searching it own definition.So you need lots of luck to do so.
more over that i am not sure about if you can use it for gaming fun or not.......

so theritically you can.practically you can not.watch Globus tool kit manual if and this is very less possibilities , can give you such power to do so.....

for speed concern you may need a infiband network switch and infiband network card for streaming a huge amount of multimedia data

HTH

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,320 Posts
csayantan, you missed the reference about "everyday use". No one will argue that clusters don't exist, but they're still for specialized software. :smile:

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,320 Posts
I'm skeptical that you'll ever get any benefit from doing this with standard hardware, even if you managed to get it working with your applications and/or games. I'm also skeptical that you'll even get most applications working with this environment.

However, if you have lots of time and money to waste... :wink:

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'm skeptical that you'll ever get any benefit from doing this with standard hardware, even if you managed to get it working with your applications and/or games. I'm also skeptical that you'll even get most applications working with this environment.

However, if you have lots of time and money to waste... :wink:
Yap.this things are not that much mature/flexible to implement it in home environment,bcz its not that much easy to setup.But the things are switching a lot,JFS,JPA,JMX API switching our large OLTP application a lot towards grid (specifically Distributed, In-Memory Data Grid Access for Clustered Applications http://www.devx.com/HotList/Article/40597 ).So things are changing.

May be OP need to wait more to implement it in home environment. :4-dontkno :eek:
OR he may get a access to a cluster over internet(eg. google chrome OS come up with a cloud computing implemented environment,OP may expect something for GAMING in NEAR future.)

i never implemented globus tool kit,so i am clueless here.... :4-dontkno

regards

NB:-More than that a oracle 11gR2 clusterware setup took 6 months (for me) at home and still i am in the network configuration phase(ie. SCAN and DNS setup).and yet to play with gtk.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.